30c Faun 8-Wheeled Crane

one new model to be updated each week
Pierkemimi

Re: 30c Faun 8-Wheeled Crane

Post by Pierkemimi »

Yesterday saw a picture of a double rope hook that belongs to a seller in the Uk in his collection.
His remarks : this model falls into the time frame when this hook was being used on the Jumbo Crane.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Pierkemimi wrote:Yesterday saw a picture of a double rope hook that belongs to a seller in the Uk in his collection.
His remarks : this model falls into the time frame when this hook was being used on the Jumbo Crane.
It’s definitely true - the 11c ran from 1964 to 1968 and the 30c was made from 1965 to 1970, ending as a transitional Superfast. It would certainly have been possible for Lesney to fit the same hook to both and I have no idea why they didn’t. However, it does seem clear that this wasn’t part of normal production, as there are so few 30cs with the 11c hook. It would be interesting to know which 30c variation this was, setting aside the question of the hook.

I think there will always be doubt over any 30c with the wrong hook - they’re easy to change. I certainly wouldn’t pay any extra!
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

This is when we need to see factory finish blister packaged examples or catalogue images from Lesney with the double hook to take away any doubt.

Ghosthunter.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:This is when we need to see factory finish blister packaged examples or catalogue images from Lesney with the double hook to take away any doubt.

Ghosthunter.
Right because the hooks can be switched in the blink of an eye (with no way to spot a switch).

I would certainly say that any hook variation, on any of the models using a plastic hook, is worth the same as a common hook model. This is because there is no way to know if it was a hook switch unless you actually watch someone do it.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Pierkemimi wrote:How many people know as much as us that other hooks from other models can be placed on other models.
A hell of a lot more people than you would ever think!
Pierkemimi wrote:The models came from on old guy, that know matchbox but that's all.
If the intention was to replace the hook, why place the hook on the wrong way. A true collector would place the hook in the correct way.
Maybe yes, maybe no.
Pierkemimi wrote:Also the connection to the hook is fragile, also if you have replaced the hook there is a little space to jungle it.it won't be fixed.
That's not true, they can easily and very quickly popped off one model (without any damage to hook or model) and put on another model without any tell-tale signs. If it's loose on the new model, then the old hook was loose. A tiny amount of pressure on the tip of the boom will remove any slack and tighten the hook on any model (that has a pop on hook). I've restored at least a couple hundred of the models that accept the plastic hooks and never caused any damage to the end of the freshly painted booms - that how easy it is to do.
Pierkemimi wrote:Who cannot say that the hook isn't in the box when the models where completed.

Anyone can say that until one shows up with the requirements that Ghosty mentioned (which is in a sealed blister, in a vintage catalog or ad photo).

I think it's interesting to collect different plastic hook variations but you have to realize they have no additional value and you should never pay any more than for a common one. Nor should sellers try to sell a plastic hook variant for a premium price. They are valueless variations with regard to financial worth.
tractorboy

Post by tractorboy »

I got this on eBay 2 days ago using Buy Now for under US$18, though shipping to NZ was fairly expensive (US$36) thought it was worth a gamble. Had a look at the trader's other items and they had around 20 common Matchbox but mostly were offering 800+ bric-a-brac items like jewelry/watches/clothing, etc. Received notification yesterday that it had been shipped.
Had experience previously where photography had lightened the green so that it appeared turquoise. Checked the background wood of the other Matchbox and it was consistent with this one.
Will post photos when it arrives (fingers crossed).
Listing photos:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg
"What one loves in childhood stays in the heart forever." ---Mary Jo Putney

Rodger
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Such a steal of a deal, and in such good shape too. My fingers are crossed for you too!
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

I do hope it’s turquoise but it would be a new variation - all recorded examples so far have an orange rivet. So it’s most likely to be green. Sorry!
tractorboy

Post by tractorboy »

DrJeep wrote:I do hope it’s turquoise but it would be a new variation - all recorded examples so far have an orange rivet. So it’s most likely to be green. Sorry!
I wondered about crane rivet, though had a look through my John Houton Guide and see that he mentions "unpainted rear rivet". Also mentioned earlier in this thread here.

I'm a realist so not getting too excited but will see what the postie brings.

Rodger
tractorboy

Post by tractorboy »

Arrived today and it's normal green.
P8050001_Fotor.jpg
P8050001_Fotor.jpg (37.46 KiB) Viewed 5909 times
Though can't work out how original photo shows more of a turquoise colour. Had a play with flash, brightening, contrast, hue, etc with my photo editor but not able to duplicate it to look turquoise.

Rodger