A mix of recent additions

A place to show your latest finds
Maestro

A mix of recent additions

Post by Maestro »

Since my open heart surgery at the beginning of July I made babysteps in collecting, but I'm running again!
Here are my additions of the last few weeks!

All are Lesney copies, except for one Dutch Husky promo and a code 3 Lesney Daimler Bus.

Can anyone tell me more about Butlin's on the Lesney DD?
I only found out that is is (or was?) a British chain of holiday resorts and hotels.
On the internet I found a picture of the cream #74b bus with same Butlin's decals.

Maarten
"These may be toys, but this ain't child's play"
jeff f

Re: A mix of recent additions

Post by jeff f »

hi, some nice finds, i like the ford express services and the garages,
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Maestro wrote:Can anyone tell me more about Butlin's on the Lesney DD?
The RW 74b is in some ways an odd model since it was never used for Code 1 or Code 2 promotionals. (Presumably clients preferred the iconic %d Routemaster.)
I'm pretty sure we've seen this Butlin's label before on the Forum, but have been unable to find it. If memory serves, it was on a 5c (or just possibly a 5d).The existence of a cream RW 74b with the same label could point things in the direction of a small-volume Code 3, perhaps only available at a single holiday camp. On the other hand, it could just as easily be an after-market advertisement supplied for model railway use. Either way, it definitely looks good against the green.
Maestro

Post by Maestro »

Here it is together with it's original...

Maarten
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Idris wrote:
The RW 74b is in some ways an odd model since it was never used for Code 1 or Code 2 promotionals. (Presumably clients preferred the iconic %d Routemaster.)
I'm pretty sure we've seen this Butlin's label before on the Forum, but have been unable to find it. If memory serves, it was on a 5c (or just possibly a 5d).
Found a photograph in my photo-archive:
5d-Butlins.jpg
This appears to be exactly the same text, but with a different colour background.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

For sure some great stuff in that bunch!
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

Love the Husky promo tanker!
At the beach, counting down to retirement.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Idris wrote:
I'm pretty sure we've seen this Butlin's label before on the Forum, but have been unable to find it. If memory serves, it was on a 5c (or just possibly a 5d).The existence of a cream RW 74b with the same label could point things in the direction of a small-volume Code 3, perhaps only available at a single holiday camp. On the other hand, it could just as easily be an after-market advertisement supplied for model railway use. Either way, it definitely looks good against the green.
Butlin’s was certainly into sponsorship - this book from the popular Billy Bunter series is a great example, published in 1961. (I don’t have a Butlin’s collection - just this book, bought at a jumble sale when I was a child). So it wouldn’t be at all surprising if they sold these buses at their holiday camps. On the other hand, there’s plenty of Butlin’s memorabilia on the internet and no sign of Matchbox buses. Perhaps more will emerge. Great find, anyway.
Attachments
2CFD3702-5922-4543-B327-9F883AA4A4C1.jpeg
Maestro

Post by Maestro »

Thanks for the info Idris and Dr Jeep! :D

But what was Butlin's exactly? A chain of holiday resorts and hotels? Or (also) something else?

Cheers,
Maarten
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Maestro wrote: But what was Butlin's exactly? A chain of holiday resorts and hotels? Or (also) something else?
Exactly that - holiday camps with entertainment, and a few hotels. Here’s the back cover of the same book. They still exist: https://www.butlins.com/
822E2F61-8657-41AD-BA35-F1B312F1F9CA.jpeg