U.S. Postal Service being forced out of business

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
Squid

Re: U.S. Postal Service being forced out of business

Post by Squid »

francipe wrote:35 days after posting, the package had left Kentucky for the UK.
That's ridiculous, and one reason I refuse to have anything to do with eBay's Global Shipping Program: I see it as just another cook to spoil the broth. With luck on my side, the die-cast I recently purchased from the UK will arrive tomorrow.
francipe

Post by francipe »

Both parcels were sent under the GSP which generally saves me money. Namely at least the charges made by the Post Office/Parcelforce for collecting the import duty.
Squid

Post by Squid »

I guess if the Global Shipping Program saves import duty charges, it has some merit. None of my international shipments have required payment of import duties; perhaps I'm just lucky?
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I haven't bought much from overseas lately, but my one purchase from the USA was significantly delayed by a backlog at UK Customs.
francipe

Post by francipe »

Idris wrote:I haven't bought much from overseas lately, but my one purchase from the USA was significantly delayed by a backlog at UK Customs.
HM Revenue and Customs out-sourced collection of import duty of this kind years ago. As far as I know, all parcels coming into the UK are sent to the International Hub in Coventry. There someone decides if duty should be paid and fixes a label to the package showing the duty payable and the collection fee to be paid. The Parcelforce charge is higher than Royal Mail presumably because they are the carrier for parcels over 2kg.
Obviously I haven't been involved in the process except as the recipient and payee of the bill so this might be a generalisation. However, I can't believe the parcel sacks are sifted at Heathrow etc nor is it likely that the Royal Mail and Parcelforce have independent facilities.

Pitney Bowes/eBay's Global Shipping Program results in the duty being collected in the States and the UK buyer will ALWAYS avoid the collection fee (I've paid Royal Mail £8 for them to pass on <£1!). How HM Revenue and Customs get the money from Pitney Bowes is potentially a grey area.

Often similar models sent via the GSP will be listed free of duty or with duty to pay. This has been the case when I've bought the Super Kings Muscle Cars. One seller had the same model in different colour choices. I wanted the one quoted with the charge and the seller was good enough to let me buy the duty free model and accidentally put the other model in the package he sent me so I got what I wanted duty free. Most collectors and many sellers seem to dislike the GSP but it's always been good to me. If nothing else I know exactly how much I'm paying for a model. Multiple purchases from the same seller is the only debit score for me as it means I pay multiple shipping costs. If you get a friendly seller he might combine two listings into one.