Inherited "Models of Yesteryear" Cars. Help, please!

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
crystcrys

Inherited "Models of Yesteryear" Cars. Help, please!

Post by crystcrys »

Hello.

I recently inherited a box of Matchbox “Models of Yesteryear” cars. All are in their boxes and all boxes are marked ©1973. However, I know for a fact that one of the 1928 Mercedes SS Coupes has, stamped on it, ©1972. (I have not opened any other boxes to check the date stamped on the other cars.)

I have never collected model cars. I was wondering whether there are any models in the list that are rare or that I need to look into further, and I was hoping that someone on this forum might know.

Any guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Y-10 1906 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost (white/purple; black seats; gold trim) (51:1)
Y-5 ( white) 1907 Peugeot (gold; black seats; gold trim) (43:1)
Y-5 (gold) 1907 Peugeot (gold; black seats; gold trim – trim is less shiny than the other one) (43:1)
Y-4 (gold) 1909 Opel Coupe (orange with red seats, gold trim, black top) (38:1)
Y-12 (white) 1909 Thomas Flyabout (purple; white seats; gold trim; black top) (48:1)
Y-12 (gold) 1909 Thomas Flyabout (purple; white seats; gold trim; black top) (48:1)
Y-1 (white) 1911 Model “T” Ford (white/red; red seats, gold trim; red top; silver posts) (42:1)
Y-7 (gold) 1912 Rolls Royce (gold/red; black seats; gold trim; red top) (48:1)
Y-7 (white) 1912 Rolls Royce (gold/red; black seats; gold trim; red top) (48:1)
Y-9 (gold) 1912 Simplex (green; red seats; gold trim; gold top) (48:1)
Y-9 (white) 1912 Simplex (red; yellow seats; gold trim; black top) (48:1)
Y-6 (gold) 1913 Cadillac (green; yellow seat; gold trim; black top) (48:1)
Y-6 (white) 1913 Cadillac (green; yellow seat; gold trim; black top) (48:1)
Y-2 (gold) 1914 Prince Henry Vauxhall (blue; white seats; gold front/windshield; silver motor casing) (47:1)
Y8 (gold) 1914 Stutz Roadster (blue; white seat; gold trim; black top; copper/black luggage) (48:1)
Y-8 (white) 1914 Stutz Roadster (blue; white seat; gold trim; black top; copper/black luggage) 48:1)
Y-13 (gold) 1918 Crossley RAF Tender (blue; white seat; gold trim; sand top/cover) (47:1)
Y-13 (white) 1918 Crossley RAF Tender (blue; white seat; gold trim; sand top/cover) (47:1)
Y-16 (gold) 1928 Mercedes SS Coupe (green; black seats; gold front/windshield/motor pipes; black top/trunk) (45:1)
Y-16 (white) 1928 Mercedes SS Coupe (green; green seats; gold front/windshield/motor pipes; green top/trunk) (45:1)
Y-15 (gold) 1930 Packard Victoria (dark gold; red seats; gold trim; black top) (box does not have the scale in English, but does in other languages – 1:46)
Y-15 (white) 1930 Packard Victoria (dark gold; red seats; gold trim; black top) (box does not have the scale in English, but does in other languages – 1:46)
Y-3 (white) 1934 Riley MPH (red; white seats; silver trim; no top) (35:1)
Y-17 (white) 1938 Hispano Suiza (red; black seat; silver trim; black top/wheel fairings) (48:1)
Y-11 (white) 1938 Lagonda Drophead Coupe (orange/gold; black seats; gold front/windshield; black folded down top/luggage) (43:1)
Y-14 (gold) Stutz Bearcat (dark & light green; red seats; gold trim; no top) (44:1)
Y-14 (white) Stutz Bearcat (dark & light green; red seats; gold trim; no top) (44:1)
Tinman

Re: Inherited "Models of Yesteryear" Cars. Help, please!

Post by Tinman »

Welcome! I'm miles way from being a Yesteryear expert. That said: The one thing I want to see, when it comes to models of which I do have extensive knowledge, is well illuminated, close up and sharp focused photos showing the models.  Once those are posted, some may ask for specific angles of this or that model.  To get answers, you need to post some great photos and then go from there.

If your intention is to sell the models, you are not wasting you time taking and posting the photos as you can use those same photos in your sales. Also, we are not an appraisal service so please refrain from asking what this or that model is worth.  If you have something special, some may volunteer a hint as to its value.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

With the exception of the green Simplex which is a pre 1973 model and has (I assume) metal wheels not plastic wheels like all the others, these all appear standard post 1973 models. Copyright dates on bases refer to when the casting was first issued, and some of the castings for these models have been in production from the 1960's. Values can be ascertained easily with a bit of research on E-Bay and various auction house sites like Vectis. There are rarer versions of some of the models you list, but as stated above, detailed pictures will be needed to assess them fully.
Bob
crystcrys

Post by crystcrys »

Tinman wrote:Welcome! I'm miles way from being a Yesteryear expert. That said: The one thing I want to see, when it comes to models of which I do have extensive knowledge, is well illuminated, close up and sharp focused photos showing the models.  Once those are posted, some may ask for specific angles of this or that model.  To get answers, you need to post some great photos and then go from there.

If your intention is to sell the models, you are not wasting you time taking and posting the photos as you can use those same photos in your sales. Also, we are not an appraisal service so please refrain from asking what this or that model is worth.  If you have something special, some may volunteer a hint as to its value.
Thank you for your advice. It's helpful. I promise that I do not want to ask the people in this forum what the cars are worth. :) I simply hope to find out whether there are models that I should look deeper into, because I am thinking of selling them on ebay. Although the person I inherited them from enjoyed collecting model cars, they do not bring the same joy to me as they did to him.
crystcrys

Post by crystcrys »

YYS4BOB wrote:With the exception of the green Simplex which is a pre 1973 model and has (I assume) metal wheels not plastic wheels like all the others, these all appear standard post 1973 models. Copyright dates on bases refer to when the casting was first issued, and some of the castings for these models have been in production from the 1960's. Values can be ascertained easily with a bit of research on E-Bay and various auction house sites like Vectis. There are rarer versions of some of the models you list, but as stated above, detailed pictures will be needed to assess them fully.
Thank you for information on copyright dates. That makes sense, now.

I will have a closer look at the green Simplex, and thank you for telling me about Vectis. Your help is greatly appreciated.