Matchbox Catalogues

The Matchbox box, blister, catalogue and paperwork forum.
Miller

Re: Matchbox Catalogues

Post by Miller »

We all know, why the brand is called "Matchbox", but i´ve never seen a paperwork in german language, which translated it to "Streichholzschachtel" (the german word for matchbox) and that the models are packed in "Streichholzschachteln". Sounds funny to me ;)

Roland

Variations are bad for limited showcases
Moyboy

Post by Moyboy »

I've found the Finnish and Arabic hard to find and I'm still looking for 1958-9 Yellow cover with Rolls on them. generally for some reason these issues seem to go high so have left alone so far. there were some nice ones in the recent Vectis auction which fetched good prices.
ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

Miller wrote:We all know, why the brand is called "Matchbox", but i´ve never seen a paperwork in german language, which translated it to "Streichholzschachtel" (the german word for matchbox) and that the models are packed in "Streichholzschachteln". Sounds funny to me ;)
I guess in 1958 the use of English terms in the German language was not quite as widespread yet as it is nowadays, and there was a perceived need to translate everything. That seems to have lasted another ten years or so; as you may know Hot Wheels were originally called "Heisse Räder" in the German speaking countries. That German designation was phased out around 1972.

Besides, the Italian Matchbox pocket catalogues from 1969 to 1971 say "Scatola di fiammiferi" on their covers. I wonder what the Italians thought about that! :)

ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

matchboxkiwi wrote:Hi Christian,
The Austrian Price list from 1966, I can't remember where that came from. I did attend a number of European swap meets before returning home to New Zealand so it was probably picked up on one of those trips. Here are some more pictures of it.

Christian, have you seen my New Zealand Matchbox post. it has a 1978 CC48 collectors case made in New Zealand. Just thought you might be interested.

Cheers, Steve
Matchboxkiwi
Thanks for that. I am always intrigued by vintage pricelists, as they offer some insight into when exactly which models appeared and (of course) their prices at the time. They are generally very rare, but I am always unsure how much I would be willing to pay for such items - probably not enough!

I have seen that New Zealand carry case before, albeit I do not have an example myself. The reason why it is still not shown on my website is that I generally do not include detail closeup pictures on the carry case pages, and if you just look at the cover picture as a whole, you do not see a difference in comparison with the European issue of the time. Maybe if I got a picture of the whole case with the handle visible, that would work as the handle is unique enough.
matchboxkiwi

Post by matchboxkiwi »

The catalogue collection. Each draw is a different year.
P7130048.JPG
P7130048.JPG (128.99 KiB) Viewed 5508 times
Cheers, Steve
Matchboxkiwi
MatchboxFreak

Post by MatchboxFreak »

Impressive collection Steve!
This obviously took a lot of time and effort to assemble and organize. Nicely done.
Kurt
Happy hunting!
Kurt
matchboxkiwi

Post by matchboxkiwi »

A new catalogue for the collection.
Steve
Matchboxkiwi
Attachments
Matchbox live and learn catalogue.jpg
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

matchboxkiwi wrote:The catalogue collection. Each draw is a different year.
P7130048.JPG
Cheers, Steve
Matchboxkiwi
This looks very impressive !

marcel
matchboxmarcel