Spitfire!

Morestone, Benbros, Charbens, DCMT, Kemlows & Moko.
Idris
Site Admin

Spitfire!

Post by Idris »

I was recently sent out on a mission to find a garden seat. 'My wife had found a nice one online for about £200 (gulp!) so, being the skinflint I am, I decided to do a trawl of my local junk emporia. One came up trumps and I got a very nice garden seat for £50 (so 'her indoors' is now 'her outdoors'). Whilst looking round for anything else of interest, I noticed a small toy 'aeroplane which the gaffer said I could have for nothing (so I did). We had a bit of a discussion about whether it was a Spitfire or a Hurricane, and that was that. I took it home put it on my desk, gave it a cursory glance, though 'late 40s, maybe early 50s', and forgot about it.
About a week later, I got round to cleaning it, the main issue being a mass of rubbery glue on the underside. After that, on turning it over and examining it in decent light, I noticed lettering on the underside of the wings: one read SPITFIRE, and the other MADE IN ENGLAND, but no maker's mark. I also noticed that scratches, although initially bright, quickly dulled, so probably a lead alloy. (I don't think it's soft enough to be pure lead.)
Searching online for a possible manufacturer, ended up leading me in a completely different direction. I had assumed that it was a post-war toy, but it seemed too detailed for that. (Look at the cockpit and aileron outlines.) After much Internetting, I now believe that it is a WWII aircraft recognition model (which explains the complete lack of paint, the lead alloy, the detailing, and the glue - it's been stuck to something so that the outline could be studied and mesmerised).
Given all the damage to it, I think it was used as a toy sometime after the war's end.
Has anyone else every seen anything similar? Comments?
Attachments
S10.jpg
S10.jpg (33.35 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
S11.jpg
S11.jpg (36.15 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
S12.jpg
S12.jpg (55.05 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
S13.jpg
S13.jpg (39.65 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Spitfire!

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Recognition aircraft models were usually made to 1/72 scale. A scale devised by the FROG model company who also used to make recognition models for the war department.

Some models were made to 1/90th scale.

Materials were either wood, bakalite or lead and the most common colour finish is black because that is what all aircraft look like from the ground...just a silhouette!

Would you say your plane is in a natural black finish and close to 1/90 scale because if yes, then it does suggest you have found a recognition model which is nice to have but rather surprisingly not that rare as understandably many werte made and handed down from Father to DSon after the war. Some being suitably painted to represent real aircraft.

Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Spitfires appear to have a wingspan of 36' 10" (ref). At 1/90 that would scale to 4.9", but this model measures only about 2 1/2", suggesting a scale closer to 1/180.
The surface finish appears to be very dull, very grey, bare metal, with not a hint of paint in any corner or crevice.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I don,t think then it is a recognition model, too small. Maybe a trohy model to be mounted in a similar fashion to the Lesney Giftware items either simply as a trohy/momento or to adorn an ashtray etc but then there should be signs of a hole, a slot or the remains of a shaft.

Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Thanks for the information and suggestions, Kevin.
What I'm struggling with is is the incongruous mix of a soft metal, good detailing (oddly the exhausts are missing), and the complete absence of paint
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Could it be a home grown piece, carved from a bigger lump of metal by an enthusiast?

Ghosty.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Could it be a home grown piece, carved from a bigger lump of metal by an enthusiast?

Ghosty.
No, not with the detailing and the lettering under the wings.