Classic Super Kings Muscle Cars from Yesteryear toolings

Non UK made Matchbox toys 1983 on
francipe

Classic Super Kings Muscle Cars from Yesteryear toolings

Post by francipe »

I'm essentially a Yesteryear collector but over the Collectibles and Mattel years other things have contaminated my collection. Mostly MB38, MB44 and Dinky models used for Convention sets.

Some time ago Marcel aka matchboxmarcel told me about the Super Kings released by Mattel.
I finally managed to get one of these at a good price. The seller had a lovely metallic pink Chevelle but my phone had a hissy fit and I missed it. Not a happy bunny.

Here it is shown with the original YMC04 1970 Plymouth Road Runner - Hemi

The obvious differences are the orange tinted windows and white interior and the black bonnet/trunk stripes being added to the roof plus the lack of rear spoiler.

Zoom in and it's possible to see the Super Kings model is lacking minor details. The vent below the chrome grill isn't painted black and bonnet catches on the hood and the Plymouth legend are no longer tampo printed.

The side view highlights the money saving use of standard wheels and tyres and additionally the missing tampo printed Road Runner cartoon ahead of the front wheel and HEMI legend behind the rear quarter air intake.

The interior is more detailed on the Yesteryear model, the steering wheel, gear stick, centre console and dash are all painted. The door handle is also painted.

The rear view also shows a minor tampo printing change, the Plymouth legend being in a different colour, font and position and the projecting exhaust tail pipes are gone.

The baseplates are completely different, the Yesteryear model obviously modelled on the original car. I presume the Super Kings model has a standard issue item but I can't be sure of this until my next model arrives. The one thing here that I think is an improvement is the method of holding the model in the box. The plastic tabs are light years ahead of the plastic covered twisted wire arrangement previously used for years from the maroon boxes of the mid 80s

The box is a typically gaudy affair and suits the metallic paint of the model. It's a pity some details about the car haven't been included.

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Yesteryear thread....
Idris
Site Admin

Re: Classic Super Kings Muscle Cars from Yesteryear toolings

Post by Idris »

That's a Yesteryear?
francipe

Post by francipe »

Idris wrote:That's a Yesteryear?
Yes Idris, it is. This would have been apparent if the old fool writing the post had remembered to include this photo

I believe the castings originally started life elsewhere but Tyco released them as part of the Matchbox Collectibles range. Mattel used more tampo printing, which makes this more apparent

Charlie P posted a list of these Super Kings, most of which were released in two colours.

All except the Chevy El Camino are derived from the Yesteryear Muscle Cars YMC01-YMC12. These also appeared in the two Collectibles Police Cars series, only half of which bore the Models of Yesteryear legend.
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

nice pictures Peter !

marcel
matchboxmarcel
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

francipe wrote:
Idris wrote:That's a Yesteryear?
Yes Idris, it is. This would have been apparent if the old fool writing the post had remembered to include this photo...
It's a Yesteryear, Jim, but not as we know it.
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

This is the list with all information.

2 models were never released. (the ones without a X in the 1st column)

Further to this there was also this the Matchbox "2004 Matchbox Toy Show Hershey PA" Gala Dinner Model" 1/43rd scale Adult Retail Collection 1971 Dodge Challenger in yellow - exclusive for this issue only - very rare - (including crystal display case)

marcel.

See also:

http://vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk/for ... 28&p=55311

marcel
matchboxmarcel
francipe

Post by francipe »

matchboxmarcel wrote:This is the list with all information.

2 models were never released. (the ones without a X in the 1st column)

marcel
Thanks for sharing this list Marcel. Now I know what to look for. I've bought 4 of these in the last couple of weeks.
Going slightly off-topic, do you have a similar list for the Hot Wheels American Classics, which were also partly based on the Yesteryear Muscle Cars?

Am I allowed to mention those two unmentionable Voldemort words here?
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

It's difficult for me to wrap my head around these oversize muscle cars being in the YY range. I think that was a poor decision and it mocks the target customer of YY range of models.

I have other comments but they deal too much with personal preference for the range and the subject matter, so those I will keep those to myself, I'll simply sum up my personal comment with: "Not a fan of these."
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
DGinBC

Post by DGinBC »

Tinman wrote:It's difficult for me to wrap my head around these oversize muscle cars being in the YY range. I think that was a poor decision and it mocks the target customer of YY range of models.

I have other comments but they deal too much with personal preference for the range and the subject matter, so those I will keep those to myself, I'll simply sum up my personal comment with: "Not a fan of these."
If you hearken back to 1956 when the YY models were first fabricated, they depicted replicas of 30 to 50 year old vehicles. These 60's and 70's muscle cars are now ~50 years old.
Dwayne on the left coast.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

DGinBC wrote:If you hearken back to 1956 when the YY models were first fabricated, they depicted replicas of 30 to 50 year old vehicles. These 60's and 70's muscle cars are now ~50 years old.
They were not anywhere near that old when they were originally cast and sold. You have to go by the release dates. Wait long enough to make a comment and anything will become vintage or an antique.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."