Unusual 52a decal

Is it genuine or is it fake?
nickjones
Site Admin

Re: Unusual 52a decal

Post by nickjones »

I would hesitate to give this its own code, firstly because its an error piece and secondly because if we code it by next week there will be a dozen more on ebay.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

nickjones wrote:I would hesitate to give this its own code, firstly because its an error piece...
Pardon me for disagreeing, M'lud, but we do have a precedent in the form of the 11a with side decals. which has not one but two codes (the difference being decal size).
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I now also have a mint and boxed example (bought at no premium) which is the same variation code.
I am therefore convinced that this is a legitimate variation.
numi

Post by numi »

Idris wrote:I now also have a mint and boxed example (bought at no premium) which is the same variation code.
I am therefore convinced that this is a legitimate variation.
Congrats Idris,kindly post some pics whenever possible.thanks
numi
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Another one!
I think this variation is on a par with the side decal 11a: probably one rogue worker placing the decals incorrectly for several shifts until spoken to by the supervisor.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

...and another one, this time for £120 + £5 p&p!
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Idris wrote:...and another one, this time for £120 + £5 p&p!
Here's the model from the auction:
Attachments
52 decal variation VBD.jpg
52 decal variation VBD.jpg (95.56 KiB) Viewed 5847 times
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Idris wrote:Another one!
I think this variation is on a par with the side decal 11a: probably one rogue worker placing the decals incorrectly for several shifts until spoken to by the supervisor.
This post is now useless as the auction info is long gone (although the comments are still valid) :) .
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Tinman wrote:
Idris wrote:Another one!
This post is now useless as the auction info is long gone (although the comments are still valid :) .
Given the scepticism surrounding the idea that this might actually be a genuine variation (rather than an error piece), the purpose of the post was solely to highlight the fact that an additional example had been spotted for sale on Ebay. Ditto my most recent post (and I would suggest that the hammer price is an indication that tail decals are now accepted as a genuine variation by at least some collectors).

At the end of the day, it seemed pointless putting up even more photographs of the same variation (but thank you for adding the photograph from the most recent auction)..
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Idris wrote: (but thank you for adding the photograph from the most recent auction)..
I did that (added the pic) cause I remember some moderator or admin posting that you need to put the auction photos directly in the post because the point (and post) becomes moot when the ebay auction can no longer be viewed. My attempt at dry ironic humor (very dry, so dry it might have been missed). Still sheltering at home due to the virus exploding where I live and nothing better to do (that's my lame excuse and I'm sticking with it). :D