Preproduction 34c?

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
Idris
Site Admin

Preproduction 34c?

Post by Idris »

Looking at the latest listings of forthcoming offerings from Vectis, a preproduction 34c VW Camper caught my eye.
34c(s).jpg
34c(s).jpg (18.92 KiB) Viewed 5804 times
Unfortunately, there's only one photograph attached to the listing, but what I see, makes me uncomfortable. First of all, the model seems to have the raised bumper for the tow guide.
34c(bumper).jpg
34c(bumper).jpg (8.9 KiB) Viewed 5804 times
In addition, there's a lot of corrosion (zinc oxide?) evident, most especially by the doors.
34c (corrossion).jpg
34c (corrossion).jpg (25.44 KiB) Viewed 5804 times
No real evidence is offered for this being a preproduction (the blurb reads "Matchbox Regular Wheels 34c Pre-production Volkswagen Camper Top-down - has a bare metal finish, very pale pink interior, cream trial solid windows and roof light, twin rivet base (missing one opening door) - see photo") and, if it does have the raised bumper, then it is almost certainly a standard body casting.
I think there is a good chance that this is simply a standard model which has been chemically abused in some way, resulting in i) translucent windows (never seen the like before on an RW model, plus they're orange not cream), ii) severe fading of the moulded plastic interior, iii) stripping of paint, and iv) residual corrosion of the metal.
What do other Members think?
Tinman

Re: Preproduction 34c?

Post by Tinman »

I think it's a bunch of nonsense.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Tinman wrote:I think it's a bunch of nonsense.
completely agree.
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Are the wheels grey? That could imply a colour trial, but equally could suggest chemical attack. It’s not something I’d buy.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

DrJeep wrote:Are the wheels grey?
I must admit that i wondered about the wheels too. it's very difficult to tell from the photograph, but they don't look properly grey. I think they're more of a washed-out black, once again suggesting some kind of chemical alteration.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Very difficult to say grey or black wheels but looking closely both seem to be damaged in some way with splitting.

Ghost.
kilarae

Post by kilarae »

I've seen this before when I was a kid. The whole bus was dropped in a glass of turpentine. Turpentine causes the plastic to fade and crack. It also causes the windshields to craze. I might have a couple of samples running around

Hans in Denver
Sebastian10

Post by Sebastian10 »

Just checked Vectis - it made £300 plus their costs which I think are 25% with postage on top! :roll: :roll:

Wish I could find the buyer - maybe offer him a few beaters after I have dipped and dried them! :lol: :lol:

Sebastian :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

:o
:roll:
:lol:
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
brainstrust

Post by brainstrust »

only one piccy probably says it all :geek: