What do you think i should do??

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
cooltoys1

What do you think i should do??

Post by cooltoys1 »

I purchased a Lesney 51a Albion Chieftain portland cement silver wheel of EvilBay.
Pictures show the car mint and basicly chip free.
I get the car the other day and it has a big honkin chip in the roof. I paid $55 us and i think this car, with the silver wheels books for over $300 (pplease correct me if im wrong)
The seller is happy to return my money and also my postage. DFo i do it, or keep it, since its the rarer variation?

Thanks
Jay
Attachments
cement 2.jpg
cement 2.jpg (189.52 KiB) Viewed 7418 times
cement.jpg
cement.jpg (89.06 KiB) Viewed 7418 times
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: What do you think i should do??

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Keep it, a chipped example is better than no example at all. Also keep on good terms with the seller as it sounds like he is genuine and has offered to help you so ask him if he could do you a credit note for another purchase to compensate for this damaged model.

We do not know who is responsible for the damage but I suspect it was done while being shipped as I have had models opened and damaged through the process.

Ghosthunter.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

The price you paid for the model (before the damage) was a very good deal for that variation. With the damage, not such a good deal - but not a total rip-off either. However, it was fairly purchased with full expectation of being a C8+ to C9 condition model. If you want to keep the model, I would think a discount of 10% to 15% be fair. Or you can return the model for a full refund and wait for the next one to come along. I feel bad for the seller, if he refunds he has to eat postage both ways, paypal fees and gets back a model that's now damaged. Of course, if the seller failed to pack the item well and put in in a large enough box, then he/she shoulders part of the blame.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
cooltoys1

Post by cooltoys1 »

Thanks guys! I asked the seller for a partial refund, but they refused a partial. Id still like to have it, as its a silver wheel variation, and is still worth it. Looks like i bought a damaged one, ugh. Am i correct that this car is a higher dollar one with the silver small wheels?

Thanks!
Jay
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

If he not willing to discount it, I would send it back for a full refund. The seller will list it again and maybe you can win it a second time at a less expensive price. Top dollar prices are for mint and boxed models. it does not seem to have a box and the chip is in a really noticeable spot. Silver wheels or not, damaged or play worn models don't hold high values. It's not rare enough to just bite the bullet and keep it (In my humble opinion).
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
cooltoys1

Post by cooltoys1 »

Thanks Tinman!!
mboxmike

Post by mboxmike »

In the second photograph, look at how rusty the base is looking through the cab windows. Damp basements do funky things to the metal on these old toys. I've had a 43 Hillman Minx, 45A Vauxhall and 46 Pickfords, to name a few, that had rusty axles with serious paint issues where the paint flakes off in large pieces. I see a lot of Budgies too that have paint issues if they are a little rusty. Just a thought.