23b Berkeley Cavalier Caravan

one new model to be updated each week
Idris
Site Admin

23b Berkeley Cavalier Caravan

Post by Idris »

The NAMC’s “Catalog of all Series Matchbox Models” (second edition) has an interesting model listed as variation 23-2E. This has a pale green body, and dark 9 x 20 GPW. (There is no information on the tow hitch or baseplate type.) The two other green variations are listed as 'line green' and a note in brackets states very clearly "different colour - not shade". Can anyone confirm the existence of this model and, even better provide a comparison photograph? If confirmed, this would slot into Nick's table as variation code 10.
The AIM's “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983) appears to have assumed paired baseplate tooling, one with a flat tow hitch and the other with a raised ring on the tow hitch. This looks to me to be unlikely given that we now know that there are three tow hitch castings rather than the two covered by AIM. However, please see the comments under U.K. Matchbox below.
Neither Stannard or Houghton has any models not already catalogued by Nick.
Leake ("Concise Catalogue of 75 Series Matchbox Toys by Lesney" (4th edition, reprinted 2006)) notes detail variations to "door windows etc.", but I think this must represent some kind of confusion with differentiating the 23b from the 23a..
U.K. Matchbox first examined the model in Vol. 3 no. 5 (Jul. '82) p82 where Rob Newson writes as follows: "In passing, it should be noted that two dies were used for the production of the 23B baseplates, one of which incorporated a recessed area surrounding the hole in the towing plate, thus castings from this die have the appearance of an embossed reinforcement surrounding the hole whereas castings from the other die resulted in a flat towing plate. All 23B models therefore exist with both types..." Once again, I would suggest that, based on the current state of our knowledge, this statement is untrue. A follow-up in Vol. 3 no. 6 (Aug. '79) p103 points out that early MW models have unnumbered wheels, whereas later issue bear a raised '23'.
A further visit to the 23b was made in Vol. 7 no. 4 (Oct. '83) p125, and this appears to be the first mention in print of the elusive metallic green version.
nearlymint

Re: 23b Berkeley Cavalier Caravan

Post by nearlymint »

Recently added this unlisted model(front model), same as Nicks code 6 but with 9x20 Grey plastic wheels.
23b
23b
23b Unlisted.JPG (63.32 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home