Leyland Titan Question

Non UK made Matchbox toys 1983 on
RRRob

Leyland Titan Question

Post by RRRob »

As mentioned on another post, I have been sorting through my buses today. I came across this 'Matchbox Collectors Club' Hershey 1997.I have been looking through my books and checking various website's but can only find reference to it on the older 'Londoner' model and not the Leyland Titan. Does anyone have any information on it, should this label be on this bus ?

Rob
ChFalkensteiner

Re: Leyland Titan Question

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

I can confirm first hand that back then at the convention in 1997 they had only red MB 17-B (17F) Londoners available with those labels, albeit many different base and wheel variations. They were sold there for USD 5 each.

The labels were made and applied by Everett Marshall using his stocks of standard issue buses which were stripped of their original labels. There were leftover labels which may have been applied to other models later on, by Everett himself, by Paul Carr or possibly by others who received such surplus labels.

I remember that sometime later Paul Carr offered silver-grey Londoners (ex Silver Jubilee) with those labels for sale, which had not been available at the convention either.

I personally have not seen a Leyland Titan with those labels before, but as there were surplus labels, they could have been applied to any bus model.
RRRob

Post by RRRob »

Christian,
Thank you for your informative reply. I did actually purchase the model through the collectors club as I was a member and a bus collector when they came out. Probably surplus labels as you say.

Rob
ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

Thanks. If it came this way directly from Everett, I should catalogue it as a Code 2 issue.

For this purpose I would like to know if it has an England, Macau or China base, and if the model name on the base is "London Bus", "Leyland Titan" or none (although I realize that those labels may be found combined with any of the existing base castings).
RRRob

Post by RRRob »

Christian,

Sorry for the long delay in replying. Here is the picture of the base.

Rob