33a Ford Zodiac Mk. II

one new model to be updated each week
Idris
Site Admin

33a Ford Zodiac Mk. II

Post by Idris »

The NAMC’s “Catalog of all Series Matchbox Models” (second edition) has a number of intriguing entries:
- Variation 33-1D is for a green model, c/a, with light or dark GPW. However, it is unclear what is meant by GPW since variation 33-1E is listed as having either large or small KGPW, whilst variation 33-1I (a two-tone model) has large dark KGPW. Nick only lists 8 x 18 and 9 x 20 GPW for the 33a, but the NAMC listing implies the existence of a third, fine-tread GPW wheel type.
- Variation 33-1F is the two-tone model with small KGPW (8 x 18?), but with clear windows.
- Variation 33-1H is the two-tone model with SPW, but with clear windows.
I suspect the GPW issue is a red herring, but can anyone confirm the existence of clear windows on this model?
The AIM's “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983) puts the two-tone models into two distinct groups: tan/orange (with or without windows) and silver-tan/orange (always with windows). Can anyone confirm (or, even better, illustrate) this colour difference?
Stannard has one new variation. His code 33a-7 is the same as Nick's variation code 12 (i.e. sea-green body, DH, c/a, small 33, thin webs,type 3 bonnet, type 3 roof, short ejector post, type 2 trim, no windows), but with 9 x 20 GPW. If confirmed, this would slot into Nick's table as variation code 14.
Houghton's variation table must contain a mistake since he codes for the plain roof interior (footnote 4), but does not use it. He also illustrates a blue model, but has no entry for it. His variation code 6 is given as light metallic blue (8.5 x 18 MW, DH, c/a, small 33 matt black, thin webs, type 3 bonnet, type 3 roof, short ejector post, type 2 trim, no windows). My guess would be that this represents some kind of colour trial since a pre-production in silver is also known.
His variation code 9 matches Nick's variation code 12 but with 9 x 20 GPW, i.e. the same as Stannard's code 33a-7. In addition. Houghton's code 10 is as his code 9 but with a gloss black baseplate. If confirmed, these would slot into Nick's variation table as codes 14 and 15.
U.K. Matchbox covered the model in Vol. 5 No. 2 (Jun. '81), p52 with a follow-up in Vol. 5 no. 3 (Aug. '81) p87. The article states "the 33a was first released in pale blue but examples of this colour are rare and it is probable that, in company with many rare coloured very early issues of 1-75 series models, this colour was applied to the final trail run only models which were subsequently released with the models in the more normal early colour scheme...". This pale blue variation is given variation code 1 and is listed with FH, c/a. Does anyone have one of these models to show the rest of the Forum?

The question of whether the blue model is a legitimate variation has been discussed on the Forum several times. In terms of catalogues, the verdicts are as follows:
NAMC - not listed
AIM - not listed
Stannard - listed (1 variation)
Houghton - not listed
UKM - not listed
Leake -not listed
Nick Jones - listed (3 variations)
"Ye pays ye money 'n' ye takes ye choice" as they say......

ADDENDUM: In Lesney Link no. 3 (p68) it is reported that a c/a GPW 33a Ford Zodiac has been found in the same colour as the 44a Rolls Royce. No second example seems to have been found. Is this the 'pale blue' version referred to above?
Diecast

Re: 33a Ford Zodiac Mk. III

Post by Diecast »

Idris wrote:The AIM's “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983) puts the two-tone models into two distinct groups: tan/orange (with or without windows) and silver-tan/orange (always with windows). Can anyone confirm (or, even better, illustrate) this colour difference?
I think, this could be the colour variation.
Antonin
Attachments
DSCN1733.JPG
DSCN1733.JPG (37.63 KiB) Viewed 9250 times
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

There is a wide spectrum of the shades/colours.
Antonin
Attachments
DSCN1729.JPG
DSCN1729.JPG (22.53 KiB) Viewed 9227 times
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

Hello Antonin here are two of mine showing the colour difference, as you can see they both have windows.

But my other Silver/Orange one has no windows.

George T.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

kerbside wrote:Hello Antonin here are two of mine showing the colour difference, as you can see they both have windows.
That is very clearly much more than a shade difference.
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

Very nice photo George. The colour difference is clearly visible on your photo also. I have the model without windows, but the painting difference is very small.
Antonin
AJR

Post by AJR »

It's a Zodiac Mk2
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

AJR wrote:It's a Zodiac Mk2
Right again. (Grrrr...)
Idris
Site Admin

Re: 33a Ford Zodiac Mk. II

Post by Idris »

Please note that the first post in this topic has been updated with information gleaned from Lesney link
Idris
Site Admin

Re: 33a Ford Zodiac Mk. II

Post by Idris »

Idris wrote:ADDENDUM: In Lesney Link no. 3 (p68) it is reported that a c/a GPW 33a Ford Zodiac has been found in the same colour as the 44a Rolls Royce.
Rather unsatisfactory photograph here.