No.11e Flying Bug “VW” casting variation.

one new model to be updated each week
Pierkemimi

Re: No.11e Flying Bug “VW” casting variation.

Post by Pierkemimi »

fixer wrote:
Pierkemimi wrote:Can anyone show me with and without reinforcements to the base ? The two models I have shown looks the same.
If you look on Christian's site there is a picture showing the front of the base the reinforcement is to the front of the wheel it's the infilling to the corners (hope I got that right :?)
Can't picture mine doing an emergency bank job tonight
Thanks. Just checked mine. All with reinforcements.
matchbox360

Post by matchbox360 »

Pierkemimi wrote:Can anyone show me with and without reinforcements to the base ? The two models I have shown looks the same.
Hi Pierkemimi,
looks like your model on the left has the 'high' logo, and the one on the right the 'low' one. Again, both variants with the 'rounded' label (same as Reg's).. I'm hoping to see either logo variants but with 'square' labels, so far, mine's the only one displayed here! :D

Here's Christian's #11 page, for future reference:
http://www.mboxcommunity.com/cfalkens/M ... -LS11b.htm
fixer wrote:Can't picture mine doing an emergency bank job tonight
Yer right, matey! A bit too conspicuous for a getaway car! Mind you, it could take to the skies with the ol' Red Baron at the controls!! :lol:

Cheers, Ken
Variations are the spice of life.
ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

I can add that I saw a high logo example at a local flea market yesterday. Condition was bad and the price still rather high, so I did not purchase it, but I examined it and it had the later (generally more common) base with the reinforcements at the front.

So it does seem to me now that the high logo casting was indeed made throughout this model's production career.

Ladies and gentlemen, please also check the logos on your Roman Numeral Flying Beetles...! :)
matchbox360

Post by matchbox360 »

ChFalkensteiner wrote:...So it does seem to me now that the high logo casting was indeed made throughout this model's production career.

Ladies and gentlemen, please also check the logos on your Roman Numeral Flying Beetles...! :)
Thanks for the update, Christian. At least that's another mystery solved! I was under the impression that the 'High' logo appeared only on the earliest runs of this model. The further discovery of at least two examples of the 'High' logo, but with rounded labels, did indicate that this feature persisted through the entire production of the #11. Your previous observation about 2 moulds being used concurrently (one with the High, the other with the Low logo) also lends weight to this conclusion.

From the sample of 'investigated' models on this thread, and other contributors' descriptions, it seems to me that the 'High' logo variant is comparatively harder to find. Time will tell if my hunch is correct, and as I mentioned, a much larger sampling of examples might be needed to work out a rough ratio of 'Highs' to 'Lows'. And yes, a good suggestion for "logo checks" to be done on the Roman Numeral editions. Thanks again for your input, Christian, and best of luck in your endeavours!
:D
Cheers, Ken
fixer

Post by fixer »

Received this one today high logo and early non reinforced base
Attachments
DSC_0253_20140129215424985.jpg
DSC_0253_20140129215424985.jpg (133.75 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
reg
matchbox360

Post by matchbox360 »

That’s a fine example, Reg! It’s hard to get ‘square-corner’ labels in such good nick, they’re usually worn or scuffed.. you must be a ‘mint fiend’ like me! :D

Yours is identical to mine (high logo, square label, no reinforcements), but I notice that your VW logo is a bit clearer/sharper. I suspect that the logo was re-tooled to ‘improve’ it, which might point to my model being an earlier, ‘rougher’ incarnation. Also, I can’t tell from the angle, but I take it the windows are grey?

Nice find, and thanks for all your contributions to this thread!

Cheers, Ken
fixer

Post by fixer »

hi Ken yes it does have grey windows , it was in a lot of 10 won for 2.70 + p&p on fleebay
not a "mint fiend" just get lucky sometimes
reg
fixer

Post by fixer »

just noticed the logo is off centre same as my round label one , out of the same die maybe :?:
reg
motorman

Post by motorman »

Ken, This is not my favourite SF, however for the purpose of this post i have attached some images of the only example i own.
Attachments
2014-01-30 22.13.08.jpg
2014-01-30 22.13.08.jpg (53.98 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
2014-01-30 22.12.12.jpg
2014-01-30 22.12.12.jpg (49.73 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
fixer

Post by fixer »

square with low logo that could bugger Ken's theory :D
reg