Red 45a For Sale...3

Anything eBay, Tell us your story, win lose or warn!
yellowfoden

Re: Red 45a For Sale...3

Post by yellowfoden »

Moyboy wrote:On the tan Morris ad he has always stated that it was an original tan version ........
Unless there is an unlisted version of the tan 46a we have not seen, this being an original tan version and repainted is not possible.
Apart from the fact that the bumper valance is raised (visible in three photos) as it should be smooth, there is one other casting variation which is being overlooked. Anybody who understands the timeline for this model should be able to spot the other variation even with poor photos provided and should immediately eliminate the thought of it being legit.

If the seller reads this then perhaps they should amend their listing accordingly.

Bert
bobneumann

Post by bobneumann »

ChFalkensteiner wrote:
DrJeep wrote:This one is definitely a restoration. How do I know? Because the listing says so...
For this to be a restoration, it would have to have been coloured red originally, which it probably was not.

If the colour is different from what it was originally, I would call it a repaint, not a restoration.
I agree completely. It is annoying to see the descriptions read "this has been restored to look like a rare variation that Lesney could have produced".... or something like that.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

bobneumann wrote: I agree completely. It is annoying to see the descriptions read "this has been restored to look like a rare variation that Lesney could have produced".... or something like that.
But better, surely, for people to misuse the word “restoration” when they mean “re-creation” or “replica” than to pretend something is original? At least this seller is honest that these are repainted. No-one who reads the description should be taken in, though I’d rather the listing title didn’t say “mint”.

Incidentally, the red Victor that started this thread has sold. I wonder if we will see it again soon? If we do, I doubt it will be labelled either as a repaint or a restoration!
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

The origin of 'Restoration' comes from...'Restored To a Servicable Condition' but has been picked up by so many toy and model car enthusiasts who like to re-build them to a 'Displayable Condition' and describe them as restored rather than write the full text, so sadly it gets used in such a way to imply 'Restored To Factory Condition' and this will now never change and ebay among others is swamped with 'Restored' models, none of which are really restored back to a factory conditon.

Ghosthunter.