Removing paint

Restoration how to's
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Removing paint

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I have friends who use a container of Caustic Soda for their paint stripping needs. Submerge the whole model and leave for a day or so. Worth a try but do it outside in the open if you can.

Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Caustic soda (aka sodium hydroxide) is a particularly nasty chemical. I would strongly advise any Member working with it to treat it with respect and adopt all recommended safety precautions, especially those relating to protective clothing incl. safety glasses.
Sidebottom

Post by Sidebottom »

The Trouble I am having is the brake fluid takes MOST of the paint off - luckily for me revealing almost flawless original paint underneath - but not ALL, leaving patches which I am unwilling to re-apply with the brake fluid given it will now inevitably stray into the good areas.
MatchboxFreak

Post by MatchboxFreak »

Sidebottom wrote:The Trouble I am having is the brake fluid takes MOST of the paint off - luckily for me revealing almost flawless original paint underneath - but not ALL, leaving patches which I am unwilling to re-apply with the brake fluid given it will now inevitably stray into the good areas.
And therein lies the judicious and practiced use of carefully folded fabrics, Q-tips and wooden tooth picks!
Good luck!
You may want to practice on a few common beater models before taking on that rare but over painted model to perfect your technique and choice of tools.
Happy hunting!
Kurt