I have my doubts

Anything eBay, Tell us your story, win lose or warn!
Idris
Site Admin

I have my doubts

Post by Idris »

One of my recent searches threw up this interesting listing, advertising a "RARE PREPRODUCTION LESNEY MOKO MATCHBOX No 17 BEDFORD REMOVALS LORRY TRUCK - TAN"
17aab.jpg
17aab.jpg (11.8 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
However, having carefully reviewed the listing photographs, I have come to the conclusion that it is simply a normal green 17b (not a 17a as you might suppose from the models placed either side!) which has been exposed to damp over an extended period of time, resulting in extreme discolouration of the paint. (Note the greenish tinge to the bonnet and the underside of the model.) Furthermore, whilst he though I might be a potential bidder, the seller was falling over himself to be helpful. Now I've proposed (with evidence) that it' might actually be a discoloured 17b, he's gone cold on me, almost to the point of rudeness, suggesting to me the possibility that he is fully aware that i) it is not a 17a and ii) not a genuine ex-factory tan model.
What do other Members think?
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: I have my doubts

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Well, if it turns out to only a faded normal green model, it then becomes pretty pointles and not worth buying because all his other models are RARE!!

Ghosthunter.
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

The colouring in the confines of the decal appear to match the body colour. It would be interesting to examine areas under the white lettering (freshly chipped) to see if there is a difference in body colour. This is now the second time such a model has come up in the tan colour.

Bert
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

yellowfoden wrote:This is now the second time such a model has come up in the tan colour.
True (and thank you for the link), but I think that one also has green overtones inside the cab. It also has the extremely dark decal carrier film which we do not see on the green models, suggesting that 'something' has happened to the paint causing it ti discolour (c.f. pale blue 21c and 29b).
Here's the underside of the model, showing it to be a pale muddy green rather than a tan, and seemingly a different colour from the tipside of the model.
Attachments
17b.jpg
17b.jpg (10.67 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
petethesweet

Post by petethesweet »

Hi whats the colour like in the back of the van Pete.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

petethesweet wrote:Hi whats the colour like in the back of the van Pete.
Unclear, but I'd be tempted to say that it's not the same as the outside (just as the underside and bonnet are not the same as the rood of the rear compartment - see first photograph).
17b.jpg
17b.jpg (21.9 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
I agree with Bert. It would be good to get this model in the hand and establish exactly what's going on.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Hmmm....sold for US$304.99 (ca. £233). Two people obviously thought it was worth a hefty punt....
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Here's an interesting photograph I've found of a 17b suffering from extreme paint discolouration (and loss!). Previous posts, mostly related to army models, have highlighted this as a problem for models exposed to damp.
Is this what these strangely coloured 17b pantechnicons are: the results of a particularly moisture--sensitive batch of green paint?
Attachments
17b yellowed.jpg
17b yellowed.jpg (23.55 KiB) Viewed 1800 times