Maker?

Not British, But were in the EEC now!
Idris
Site Admin

Re: Maker?

Post by Idris »

Malibu wrote:The models are very known in the German plastik model collectors forum bud not the maker - I´m sorry.
You have something special here keep them save.

Stephan
Thanks for asking anyway - much appreciated.
Has anyone managed to put together a list of the models produced?
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Additional to your models there is a 51 Opel Kapitän and a Porsche 356.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Malibu wrote:Additional to your models there is a 51 Opel Kapitän and a Porsche 356.
Thank you!
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

You can add these to the list as well.

Opel Olympia.

Opel Olympia Caravan (estate car).

DKW Master class.

VW 1200 Split Window Beetle.

Ford Taunus.

The ges. gesch is not going to help identify the manufacture because as Hugh pointed out in his opening post, it translates into 'Legally Protected' or 'Copyrighted Product' and can be found on items as diverse as brass ink wells, pottery, tinplate toys and plastic toys among many others.

The mouldings are very good with ejector circles and moulding (tool) numbers on the underside so have been produced by a well to do company but the lack of any 'Branding' may indicate these have been made for a general wholesaler to market in specially designed packaging which is then likely to have a trading name or logo displayed similar to many Tudor Rose toys made for other companies to market and sell (proof available if needed), so we could be looking at some legitimate models from a well known brand, but we just don't realise it!!

Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:You can add these to the list as well.

Opel Olympia.

Opel Olympia Caravan (estate car).

DKW Master class.

VW 1200 Split Window Beetle.

Ford Taunus.
I'm intrigued! Where on Earth have you sourced all that from?
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I happen to have had a model club night last night and the theme for the evening was Ranlite models, but the chap giving the talk had a lot of other plastics among his collection including Suger Smacks racing cars of the same size as those we are discussing here and as I am into plastics and copies etc I managed to put together some sort of listing but sadly nothing forthcoming regards a maker. Incidentally the Suger Smacks cereal models he had on show were also unmarked but amazingly made of bakelite!

Ghosthunter.
kay

Post by kay »

I remember that there was a big jar full of these simple plastic toy cars when I went to the dentist in my childhood (late 60's).
I always had a free choice of one model after the dentist checked my teeth.
Nowadays, my dentist does NOT give me ANYTHING after the check!! Sniff......

Next Weekend I'm attending a toy show, mainly for German toy trains and HO scale plastic models - so I will take the forum pictures with me.
Maybe I can find someone who knows more about Hugh's Wiking copies.....

Kay

P.S. I do have another split widow VW Beetle that does not have any makers signs - it just has the marks "Germany" and "7" (tool number).
It is pretty close to the original Wiking model, and it even has painted bumpers and lights.....

kay

Post by kay »

Well, I took the pictures to the toy show, but no one was able to tell the maker of the models.
I was told that models and figurines have been given out as a free gift in the 50's when you bought some margarine!
Collecting "margarine figurines" is an own collecting field here in Germany - so maybe I can find some experts about that in the future.
The search continues.....

Kay
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Kay, I think your VW Beetle model is by 'Maruba', but clearly we are looking at Wiking copies and because Wiking made several VW Beetle models, it is not easy to decide which one was copied.

The model included with Hugh's initial post reminds me of the 'Kakuro' Beetle, but of the eight models I know of from them, they were all direct copies of Matchbox regular wheeled models.

Ghosthunter.
Viewfield

Post by Viewfield »

Stretching my memory now, I seem to think I had similar models and they were given away with washing powder or the like. You bought a box of washing powder and somewhere in the box was a little plastic car. Created a lot of negatives saying children could put then in their mouth and thereby eat soap. Stop them talking dirty I would think :D

Rod