Casting #31

A showcase of !-75 reg wheel models, a new model every week
nearlymint

Re: Casting #31

Post by nearlymint »

DrJeep wrote:That's a really interesting find. I agree that it must have been a stock of old bases, because the strengthened tow hook definitely appeared on the yellow-bodied station wagons with the crimson base. It's easy to see why this modification was made - this really is fragile.

I've often wondered why the body was made with the wide gap in the rear bumper around the hook. It's almost as though the body was originally designed for the subsequent modified hook. Or is there an unrecorded really early body with a narrower gap?
Maybe its something to do with the tool that fixes that end of the base as well, just to allow a bit more room.
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

nearlymint wrote:Maybe its something to do with the tool that fixes that end of the base as well, just to allow a bit more room
Certainly a possibility, though it doesn't seem to have been a problem on other models with the split rivet. Here's a yellow 31b that once had a thin hook next to a 46b removals van. The split rivet is just about the same distance from the bumper. The 68a Austin radio truck and the 70a Ford Thames are even more extreme - the rivet is right at the front.
Attachments
31b and 46b split rivet locations
31b and 46b split rivet locations
IMG_6126.jpg (358.19 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Yes a very good point, I will check my early yellow models to see if there is any sign of extending the area at the back. As you say maybe are very early,prepro bodies with a narrow area for the tie hook. J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
A-Man-Called-Bwian

Post by A-Man-Called-Bwian »

A Lincoln Lime Green......ZOIKS! :oops:
Attachments
IMG_1833.JPG
IMG_1833.JPG (49.29 KiB) Viewed 4814 times
All my collection is absolutely mint, sage and onion condition
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Another nice little diorama and I presume you have told us already that these models you use are beaters to start with and NOT mint crisp factory fresh models... :o

Ghosty.