41b Jaguar D-Type

one new model to be updated each week
Idris
Site Admin

41b Jaguar D-Type

Post by Idris »

The NAMC’s “Catalog of all Series Matchbox Models” (second edition) does not contain any models not already listed by Nick but, like AIM's “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983), and Houghton, it does note the existence of large and dark GPW on this model.
The AIM's “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983) has an interesting pair of wire-wheeled models catalogued as variations 41b-i and 41b-j, the difference being that 41b-i has "thin tyres" whereas 41b-j is listed with "thick tyres". Both variations are listed as carrying no. 5 decals and, from the other entries, it would appear that thin tyres are the ones normally fitted to wire wheels. Can anyone clarify what is meant by thick and thin in this instance? (N.B. I don't think it is related to the tread count, since there is no matching "thick tyre" entry for models carrying the no. 41 decal.)
Stannard does not list any variations not already covered by Nick.
Houghton has a model at 41b-9 which is as Nick's variation code 9 (i.e. d/r, 1 ridge, closed, type 3, no, 41 decals) but with 9 x 24 SPW! I have seen a photograph of what was claimed to be an example of this variation and that particular model may now be owned by a Forum member. Would anyone care to own up to having one of these?
U.K. Matchbox did not examine the model.
DrJeep

Re: 41b Jaguar D-Type

Post by DrJeep »

Both George (Kerbside) and I have an unlisted 10x36 GPW variation with the first type base. I've added a picture here for ease of reference but there's more here.
IMG_7258.jpg
IMG_7258.jpg (222.76 KiB) Viewed 1623 times