Surprise find

Post photographs of your collection here!
Teals1

Surprise find

Post by Teals1 »

My wife and I were looking in the Salvation Army second-hand store today and I spied these Matchbox items. I have no idea of the resale value of these items or the rarity but they were priced as follows:
Top shelf: The 2 longer truck and double trailer units were NZ$150 - approx 80 UK Pounds and all the others were NZ$100 - UK Pounds 53.23.
Bottom shelf: all at NZ$15 each - 8 UK Pounds
They seemed to be pricy to me but the shop owner was willing to negotiate.

GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Surprise find

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I have resized the image so we can see the models to right side of the picture and it looks like there are two Greyhound Scenicruisers parked next to each other, in the middle on the front row. They seem to have the harder to find clear glazing.

Ghosthunter.
Teals1

Post by Teals1 »

Thanks for resizing the photo. I wasn't careful enough when posting and didn't see that it had cut off a portion. Some interesting models there for someone wanting early Matchbox.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Hi

Welcome to the site!

That's expensive in NZ terms, the majority of the boxed items on the top shelf would change hands regularly in that sort of condition on for less than $80 if the boxes are complete, less if not. The majority of the 1/75 models n the bottom shelf in that condition change hands for less than $5.

Seeing such a collection in one place in a retail environment is unusual!

Thanks for showing, where are you based?

Cheers

Dave
Teals1

Post by Teals1 »

Hi Dave, I am based in Wellington - just moved here from Papakura, Auckland to be nearer the family, two sons, their wives and six grandkids. Yes, I thought the prices were rather high too. I have purchased other Cadbury models from the Sallies for $1 each! I am a relatively new beginner but I am enjoying 36 or so models I have collected to date. Next model I am wanting to purchase is the Solido 1939 Citroen 15 CV Sedan in Black although would consider grey. I can't seem to find an NZ outlet that has them although plenty in the UK but postage to NZ is prohibitive. Do you know anything of a Wellington stockist, or Auckland if nothing here?
Squid

Post by Squid »

15 NZD is about 10.25 USD at the time of this post. Quite an optimistic price for the models on the lower shelf, in my opinion. Antique stores are also notorious for such pricing...but every so often you find a decent buy. Perhaps I should check some thrift stores in my area.
MatchboxFreak

Post by MatchboxFreak »

Very nice to see these items at a Sally Ann but agree the prices seem optimistic. But it’s for charity.
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:it looks like there are two Greyhound Scenicruisers parked next to each other, in the middle on the front row. They seem to have the harder to find clear glazing.
Ghosthunter.
In addition to the clear glazed Greyhound Scenicruisers, I wonder if the Dodge Cattle Truck has the blue stakes instead of the green. If so, I’d spring for those three near the posted price.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Kurt
Happy hunting!
Kurt
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Teals1 wrote:Hi Dave, I am based in Wellington - just moved here from Papakura, Auckland to be nearer the family, two sons, their wives and six grandkids. Yes, I thought the prices were rather high too. I have purchased other Cadbury models from the Sallies for $1 each! I am a relatively new beginner but I am enjoying 36 or so models I have collected to date. Next model I am wanting to purchase is the Solido 1939 Citroen 15 CV Sedan in Black although would consider grey. I can't seem to find an NZ outlet that has them although plenty in the UK but postage to NZ is prohibitive. Do you know anything of a Wellington stockist, or Auckland if nothing here?

Hi, Not too many people collect Solido in NZ. there is a TM user Boris45 who is liquidating his uncles collection who has just about everything, but there doesn't seem to be much order in what comes to market. Stoker models here in Auckland has many collections through their hands (TM user Tudor30) so keep an eye on his listings too. Wellington is a bit thin in the ground when it comes to retailers, modelcraftsandhobbies being the only one I know of. Ian (ToysNZ) here on this site is from Wellington so Personal Messaging him could be an idea to work up some local knowledge to get you going in the right direction.

I'll have a dig around too, as I have a family members vintage / veteran collection somewhere. I'm more into Dinky toys, so haven't had a look in detail as to what's there. All unboxed and in decent condition from memory, been stashed away for a while so will need to dig it out at some stage.

Cheers

Dave
Teals1

Post by Teals1 »

Thanks Dave, appreciate your reply. Will look Ian and already know about model crafts and hobbies. Will be interested to hear what's in your family members collection, specifically 1/43 vintage stuff. Kind regards
Allen