58a BEA coach in light blue

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
Per

58a BEA coach in light blue

Post by Per »

Hi, I got recently a 58a in light blue. For my untrained eyes it doesn't look repainted. Nevertheless, being no separate code defined for light blue - its a fake?
I found this link showing similar color
https://www.vectis.co.uk/matchbox-magic ... page_num=9

Images rezized by Ghosthunter.
Squid

Re: 58a BEA coach in light blue

Post by Squid »

Considering the age of this model, I would expect its decals to have darkened and/or yellowed. I see no such things on the light blue model. Therefore, the decals look to me like they were applied long after the model was made...but I'm not sure about the paint. What do the experts think?
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Hi Per

welcome!

Your 58a is very pale, which means that it's either very special or a repaint. I think the Vectis picture is of a normal 58a, not the same colour as yours. There are a few questions to ask:

- how is the base attached to the body and has it been apart? The 58a has an odd arrangement with the base forced over the rear rectangular pillar. I think this pillar looks too narrow, but it's hard to see and we really need another photograph next to your other 58a. You might also be able to look inside and see whether there's any sign of glue.

- how much paint is inside the body? Most 58a coaches have a very thin layer of paint inside, especially on the roof. Thick paint inside might suggest a repaint.

- how thick is the silver paint on the front?

I think it's probably a repaint, but you might have found something exciting! Where did it come from?

Glenn
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Us the decal letting the same colour on both models? Also what trim does the pale blue model carry, and which one of Nick's variation codes does it match?
Per

Post by Per »

Thanks for answers!
My doubts are crowing... besides the color it would be a code 6.
But using the Macro-capabilities of my Nicon: Trim looks painted, and inside is a lot of color. The base looks as if not snapped in completely. And if it's the first light blue you guys have seen...
In all cases it's not a loss, came from Ebay with 5 others for 30 Euro...
Nevertheless will post you some more pics
Per

Images resized by Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I would go with repaint on this one:
- the decal colour does not look right,
- the model appears to have an undercoat,
- the silver trim is sloppy,
- the corroded axles are out-of-place on this near mint model.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Yes, it's a repaint - sorry!

This picture shows where the base has been levered off and not fitted fully afterwards.
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-01-06 at 22.09.40.jpg
Screenshot 2019-01-06 at 22.09.40.jpg (65.63 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
Squid

Post by Squid »

We have pretty well confirmed that the model in question has been repainted. That said, for €5 (about $5.70 US), I wouldn't have been too upset, either. And the shots from that Nikon are phenomenal...I assume it is a DSLR?
Per

Post by Per »

Thanks a lot, a nice first experience in this forum! I have a metal green 53 Zodiak, where I have also second thoughts, will post here next days.
And yes, camera is a Nikon with a 105mm Macro and a ring flash - sometimes you see things you don't really want to see ;)