66C Greyhound Scenicruiser SF

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
Idris
Site Admin

Re: 66C Greyhound Scenicruiser SF

Post by Idris »

SupraBob wrote:When I first realized that the decals were missing...
Actually, it's missing labels. Decals are only found on the RW version of this model (see here).
SupraBob

Post by SupraBob »

Thanks for the comment. That does perhaps offer another explanation. Very likely that if they got wet the stickers would come off, and all in one piece as well.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Some sellers prefer to remove damaged decals and labels as they feel it helps the model sell faster. It's very easy to remove either without leaving any trace.  There is no way to tell if it's a negative variation (i.e. missed decals or missed a trip through the label machine) unless faded paint on the body exposed better paint where the label would have been.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
SupraBob

Post by SupraBob »

Do you mean the original retail seller? I really don't remember how this model came into my possession, as I was at university at the time it would have been introduced by Lesney. Perhaps one of my children traded for it, or were given it, but I would have not purchased it. And my children are both girls, so I don't think that they would have purchased it. So I don't think it was ever sold by anyone but the original retail seller. Possible that the stickers became damaged along the way and someone just removed them completely, but as far as I can remember, it has always been "stickerless" since I have had it. I guess we will never know the truth, but at least now I know that if I decide to replace the "Greyhound" on the side, I should obtain stickers rather than decals!
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

SupraBob wrote: I guess we will never know the truth, but at least now I know that if I decide to replace the "Greyhound" on the side, I should obtain stickers rather than decals!
Paper labels to be precise.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
motorman

Post by motorman »

Tinman wrote:
SupraBob wrote: I guess we will never know the truth, but at least now I know that if I decide to replace the "Greyhound" on the side, I should obtain stickers rather than decals!
Paper labels to be precise.
Quite a few of my American friends/collectors use the word sticker when referring to a label. I routinely correct them but they persist on calling them f#*king stickers :evil:
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
SupraBob

Post by SupraBob »

I think we are just using a term to indicate that they are not decals. I will try to remember to use the term "labels" in the future!

Happy 2019 to all!
motorman

Post by motorman »

SupraBob wrote:I think we are just using a term to indicate that they are not decals. I will try to remember to use the term "labels" in the future!

Happy 2019 to all!
Thank you Bob, I can now rest in peace :D
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"