Removing dirt from models

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
diecastfan

Removing dirt from models

Post by diecastfan »

Are there any methods of cleaning dirt from our models without damaging the paint work. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :)
Kev

Happy collecting..
RSSierra

Re: Removing dirt from models

Post by RSSierra »

Hi Kev

Most diecast manufacturer paint is pretty robust, but always start off with the likes of soap and water (except on pre war Dinky's which you shouldn't get near moisture at all). After that I clean my grubby examples up with varying Tamiya products, dirt, grease and finger marks are easily removed with Tamiya Acrylic thinner, this does a great job returning white tyres to white. K

For more than just grime, I.e. For repainted models I use the products below moving from left to right. Each move is slightly stronger in stripping ability. Check use on out of the way parts to ensure colourfastness. Whilst the acrylic thinner can be used on clear parts with no damage, acetone will cloud clear parts on contact. Also don't use anything of than the acrylic on decals ans don't use any liquid on paper labels as these just suck up the moisture and discolour around the edge. I'd recommend using several beater models to figure out the "strengths" of each option for yourself.

All are applied using cotton buds or qtips with light circular motions. Each of the Tamiya options is also available in small approx 30ml jars from most hobby shops or on line.

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by RSSierra on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
diecastfan

Post by diecastfan »

Dave thanks for replying and the advice on this subject really helpful. :D
Kev

Happy collecting..
DevilsAdvocate

Post by DevilsAdvocate »

I will give the disclaimer that I am a newbie, so if this method is destructive please let me know.

When cleaning on a larger scale, some having dirt and grime from the sand box and such, I use a steamer with distilled water. It does a great job of getting the interior, which can be a bugger. As always testing on less loved models is always a good start, this has proven to be a very effective method. I can vary the level of steam and pressure, which is an added benefit.

Do many people apply car wax or polish to their models to bring out some of these beautiful colors, I have on a few hotwheels spectraflame models with amazing results.