RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Dinky toys by Meccano
red-thumb

Re: RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Post by red-thumb »

RSSierra wrote:Hey Red

You're a dark horse, having that many Northern Hemsphere items in your collection. PM me photos or a link of what you have and I'm sure we can work something out. Tankers are of particular interest.....
Cheers
Dave
G'day Dave.
Only dark until I shed some more light on my collection. ;)
Have opened new thread in European & far East as suggested and will answer your other observations there.
Cheers Red.
Down Under.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Thanks Al, Great to see your Tekno's

A small update this time, until I get some time to capture images of my latest arrivals.

Whilst I have an assortment of almost correct prewar Dinky's for the boxes on the previous page I was on the hunt for the correct early models to complete these hard to find sets. Circa a month after winning the boxes I came across an auction which had the items below (auction photos). It wasn't until the auction finished and I had won them I realised it was the same seller who had sold me the boxes.

A quick email confirmed these are the original models which came with the boxes. The anti aircraft gun is incomplete and the water tanker is missing completely. However if the camouflage is original these items are extremely early production circa 1937.

Both tin plate inserts for their load beds are there and the searchlight is intact. Unsurprisingly Fatigue / damage is present in these 80 year old toys, so I'll need to be careful to keep them intact. But having them in my collection at all (let alone boxed) is something I didn't think I would achieve. I'll have to dig out some period tyres to complete them, it'll be a delicate process getting them on those fatigued hubs.

More photo's when they arrive.

As an aside for those interested in Dinky, I use (as well as the VBD site) www.talkmodeltoys.com as a resource. Whilst now defunct, it is a useful reference. Overall Dinky information can be found at:

http://www.talkmodeltoys.com/discus/mes ... 1405607954

The Medium tank set information can be found at:

http://www.talkmodeltoys.com/discus/mes ... 1354291388

And the anti aircraft set is :

http://www.talkmodeltoys.com/discus/mes ... 1366713577

For those that are interested, checking out the various links and photo's should kill an hour or so..... Enjoy!

Cheers

Dave
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Crikey, seeing the pictures of those possibly original early Dinky Toys feels like I've tuned into an episode of 'Time Team' on television's Channel 4!

Regards tyres, place them in some hot water to soften them before attempting any fitting. When on the rims and fully dry, use a model paint brush to cover them with 'Armour All' (used on real tyres!), rubber protectant available from most car accessories retailers.

Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Looking at the photographs, I would be nervous about taking those tyres off since, given the fatigue cracks, they may well be the only thing keeping some of those hubs together! (I wonder: could you run superglue into the cracks first, in an effort to keep the hubs in one piece?)
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Thanks guys, you're both right it will be a tricky operation.

Only the misshapen old tyres will be removed with side cutters, super glue before or after optional.

"New" tyres will be cut with a scalpel and placed carefully with the cut ends superglued resulting in no stress on the hubs and no small fatigued fragments pinging off whist trying to force the tyres over the hub edge in the traditional way. Adding moisture to ctacked parts will just blow them further apart, so that's not an option. Getting the right period tyres will be the defining part...
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

The Pre War military lot above has arrived. All the important bits, tinplate and the Spot light are correct and in really good condition. The camouflage is not original, but that was a punt. I've found the right solvent to get this off without ruining the original paintwork, so pictures will be posted after I have completed this painstaking exercise...

Meanwhile I won the pre war lot below to contribute relatively good water tanker and cooker trailers to one of the sets. Bonus is another Austin 7 and some original Dinky soldiers.

As usual more detailed pics when these arrive and I get them in the boxes. Just on the look out now for a Pre war anti aircraft gun....
Fred7A

Post by Fred7A »

Great to see that those pre-war items have been reunited with their boxes, and it seems a shame that they were sold separately in the first place. The "over 300 varieties" text should help to date the boxes. Looking at Meccano Magazine adverts, they changed from "over 250 varieties" to "300 varieties" during 1938.

I do like the RAC box. I recently saw the Hornby fire hut, which is based on the same pressing, but decided that I really didn't have a use for it and so I didn't even check the price. Perhaps it could be used as an outside toilet for the fire station? :lol:
Bako

Post by Bako »

I also have the 161A searchlight truck where the light has detached from the base. I repaired it carefully with a bolt with some superglue on the end. Most of the searchlight units appear to be concave like yours, the one I have is however convex. Has anyone else seen this variation?
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Can't comment on the Searchlight variation, so few around its hard to do a comparison.

This weeks additions:

Hong Kong Dinky Ford Thunderbird

Chevrolet Corvair

Ford Fairlane in very unusual Metallic Green

Land Rover Fire Truck in need of a correct ladder

Pre War Anti Aircraft Gun to complete one of the sets above. Still working on cleaning these but will post the completed sets at some point,

Shell Octopus Tanker with very hard to find black plastic hubs

With two other variations

Continental Coach

Cheers

Dave
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Dave, watch your picture file size, without any adjustment of my screen, I am not seeing all of the picture so guess others may also be missing the whole picture.

Ghosty.