21a Foden Concrete Truck

one new model to be updated each week
mbox75

21a Foden Concrete Truck

Post by mbox75 »

Hi Everyone

Between cab and Barrel engine, there are a broad or narrow edge above the chassis.

Cheers Mathias
SITE ADMIN WARNING: ANY PRE-PRODUCTION MODELS PICTURED IN THIS POST BY MBOX75 MAY BE FAKES!
kwakers

Re: 21a Foden Concrete Truck

Post by kwakers »

The narrow edge appears on all the regular wheels I have in front of me Mathias, but I do not have an example with the final base casting to check. It will be interesting to find out if this thickness was changed late in the regular wheel era, or is just a Superfast casting change. Thanks for posting it here, I will do some research on this one unless others can answer that question.......kwakers
mbox75

Post by mbox75 »

Hi kwakers

Let us once we Surprise from other members.

Cheers Mathias
SITE ADMIN WARNING: ANY PRE-PRODUCTION MODELS PICTURED IN THIS POST BY MBOX75 MAY BE FAKES!
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Hello Mathias and Kwakers,

I wonder if this may just be extra flashing.

On close inspection on my models I think the braces are the same thickness. What makes one look thicker than the other on my models is caused by a small amount of flashing that has not come off in the tumbling process. Some cab castings are crisp but others not. If you look at the brace from underneath or at an angle you may see the rough edge I am referring to. When viewed straight on they look to be different sizes.
Easy to see with an eye loupe :idea:

I have looked at the horizontal section between cab and gear cover on the RW models. The last casting with the rear braces on the regular wheel model look to be the same size as the early RW casting and look to be the same as my SF 21 Foden models.

I would say the brace is about 1.00mm thick but difficult to measure as most vernier calliper jaws are too thick to reach accurately. The other thing that occurs in this area is paint run or build-up. A word of caution that vernier calliper jaws are very hard and can easily damage paintwork.

Having said all that, I would be interested to know if the one Mathias shows is thicker all the way through and not caused by edge flashing or just extra paint and what the thickness is.

Very nice picture Mathias, thank you for showing, hope you do not mind me adding a few words to show what I mean.

All the best for 2015
Attachments
Mathias photo with some text added.jpg
Mathias photo with some text added.jpg (100.2 KiB) Viewed 5361 times
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Hi Burt,
Must have missed this this one, I have this noted but I think you are correct and its probably just paint build up. I had been checking my models for the straight and tapered ladders which can be found on the superfast models.
I can now add that as a foot note for the future.
Jason
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home