SF 1 Mod Rod

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
johnboy

SF 1 Mod Rod

Post by johnboy »

Sorry if this is repetition, but I noticed that there are some small differences to the casting when it's viewed from above. The central raised panel on the right hand model is slightly wider but also a touch narrower and the grids either side of that panel aren't framed at the back.
Attachments
Later model, with open style rear lettering on the right.
Later model, with open style rear lettering on the right.
IMG_3837.JPG (68.4 KiB) Viewed 691 times
IMG_3837 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3837 - Copy.JPG (72.53 KiB) Viewed 691 times
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
matchboxkiwi

Re: SF 1 Mod Rod

Post by matchboxkiwi »

Nice observation. I didn't know about this. What I like about it is, is that it is clear what the difference is.
Is there any correlation to the big and little Mod Rod writing on the rear?

Cheers Steve
Matchboxkiwi
mbox75

Post by mbox75 »

Hi John

here is my Casting Variants.Cheers Mathias.

SITE ADMIN WARNING: ANY PRE-PRODUCTION MODELS PICTURED IN THIS POST BY MBOX75 MAY BE FAKES!
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

matchboxkiwi wrote:Nice observation. I didn't know about this. What I like about it is, is that it is clear what the difference is.
Is there any correlation to the big and little Mod Rod writing on the rear?

Cheers Steve
Matchboxkiwi
Hi Steve, I don't know much about these and I've only got four models but if I've got it right, the earlier casting has the smaller blocky lettering and I have two of these like the left casting in the photo. I've also got two with the slightly larger, open style lettering and they match the right casting. The detail on the later one does seem inferior.
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
matchbox360

Post by matchbox360 »

Some good observations, John! I wasn’t aware of the variations in central panel size and grid framing.. thanks for the heads-up! Image

I’m also quite interested in the red-wheel variant of the ‘Moddie’, and wonder why this is the only instance in which a radically different coloured wheel was used (in the SF era). I can only speculate on what led to their discontinuation, but imagine, if they’d been re-introduced later, we’d have a red-wheeled Mod Rod with ‘spotted cat’, as well as the usual 'wildcat' label!

Cheers, Ken
Variations are the spice of life.