1e Mercedes Truck

one new model to be updated each week
Idris
Site Admin

1e Mercedes Truck

Post by Idris »

None of the NAMC’s “Catalog of all Series Matchbox Models” (second edition), the AIM's “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983), Stannard, Houghton, or Leake ("Concise Catalogue of 75 Series Matchbox Toys by Lesney" (4th edition, reprinted 2006)) lists any variation not already catalogued by Nick. However, the NAMC states that there are two shades of the orange canopy.
U.K. Matchbox did not examine the model.

It is interesting to note that nick's variation codes 7, 8, and 9 do not occur in any other catalogue, and I am therefore wondering whether they have been added simply in order to cover all the possible permutations of components. Does any member have a model matching one of these codes?

ADDENDUM: In Lesney Link no. 8 (Jul. #87) p239 it is pointed out that the baseplate hatching usually runs from top left to bottom right on all three sections, but that at least one example has been found with reversed (i.e. top right to bottom left) hatching on the centre section. (This variation is dealt with in more detail in the contributions below.)
Diecast

Re: 1e Mercedes Truck

Post by Diecast »

Some unlisted variations. On the late models was added two braces on the rivet (very hard to see it) and the position of text was moved. Best to see if you compare the relative position "1" to "(A)".
Antonin
Attachments
DSCN0132.JPG
DSCN0132.JPG (25.3 KiB) Viewed 7012 times
DSCN0131.JPG
DSCN0131.JPG (24.74 KiB) Viewed 7012 times
Last edited by Diecast on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

or without a detailed photo
Attachments
DSCN4905.JPG
DSCN4905.JPG (32.66 KiB) Viewed 7011 times
DSCN4904.JPG
DSCN4904.JPG (28.53 KiB) Viewed 7011 times
Last edited by Diecast on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

There is a similar unlisted variation as it was by 2d Mercedes Trailer. The early models have no brace above the rear mudguard.
Antonin
Attachments
DSCN4903.JPG
DSCN4903.JPG (28.76 KiB) Viewed 7010 times
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I understand that Dick (Kwakers) has made a detailed study of the baseplate variations on this model, and hope that he will shortly be sharing his findings with us (albeit without photographs :D ).
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

The following will most likely come up in Dick’s review.
The attached model with a painted base plate was found about 30 years ago. Although it had been painted by previous owner what caught my eye was the gap between base plate and body at the front compared to all my other Mercedes and the direction of the ///// crosshatch circled. Sometime later I added another model with same direction ///// crosshatch but paired on a different body casting.

Bert
Attachments
1e with larger gap - crosshatch /////
1e with larger gap - crosshatch /////
1e crosshatch- front gap.JPG (107.09 KiB) Viewed 6988 times
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

yellowfoden wrote:The attached model with a painted base plate was found about 30 years ago. Although it had been painted by previous owner what caught my eye was the gap between base plate and body at the front compared to all my other Mercedes...
I wonder whether the plastic might have shrunk as the result of solvent attack from the paint.
Pierkemimi

Post by Pierkemimi »

Diecast wrote:Some unlisted variations. On the late models was added two braces on the rivet (very hard to see it) and the position of text was moved. Best to see if you compare the relative position "1" to "(A)".
Antonin
Just checked two off mine with no bumper extension and with tow guide also a different position 1 to (A). Will check all my other models later on.
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

I can verify Nick's Code 9 in our own collection Hugh, and that one seems to be the one that Nick pictures at his site to illustrate base #4. It is very hard to see the step position in that photo, but from what we are able to see it is not the thin step and the level of it does not appear to be even with the bottom of the front bumper.
I am off to a Toy Club meeting this morning, but I can hint that I also have that mixed crosshatch base model of Bert's without those rear fender supports. That model proves the mixed crosshatch base was available during very early production of this Mercedes, but that odd base is not easy to find on any of these trucks. After adding the rear fender supports, this odd crosshatch base can also be found with these combinations WE have in our collection. (Maybe several more we are missing and have yet to discover?)
1. Early mixed crosshatch base without Guides, straight front bumper, thin step.
2. Early mixed crosshatch base without Guides, straight front bumper, top of step in line with bumper.
3. Early mixed crosshatch base without Guides, Front bumper with lower extension as a tow guide, top of step above bottom of the front bumper.
4. LATER mixed crosshatch base WITH tow guides, Front bumper with lower extension as a tow guide, top of step above bottom of front bumper. (This one would seem to prove this odd crosshatch base stayed in production a long time, or perhaps this die had to be dug out and modified to finish late production of this RW Mercedes. I only found this single example so far, but I am still looking for others.)
These mixed crosshatch bases are not easy to find on this Mercedes, so they had gone uncatalogued and unnoticed for years until Hardy listed one at his EBay store several years ago. We discussed them here, but nothing was done to update Nick's Guide with these odd crosshatch bases or even that early missing fender brace on this Mercedes.
I will have to look at all my examples of this mixed crosshatch base later today in order to see if they have that odd front space behind the front bumper as Bert has shown us here on his painted base example. I have always been so excited to find a mixed crosshatch base that I had never compared any of them to a "Stock" one, Great job Bert. (Bert did, and I will bet Antonin has also)........ :D Off to my Toy meeting, Cheers, Kwakers :D
durangokid

Post by durangokid »

Greetings,
I have some information for this model that has been provided by a fellow collector who is very familiar with this model. I will do my best to represent his information properly. He also has a detailed spreadsheet with detailed information based on his variation analysis that I have recently added at the bottom below.
I hope that you find this information and these photos helpful.
Bill

Matchbox No. 1-E Mercedes Truck
The model on the top of this picture shows a variation of the No. 1-E Mercedes Truck with the thin front steps and without a brace between the rear wheel fenders and the bed’s base. The other model has thin front steps but have braces between the base’s bed and the rear wheel fenders. Both variation have straight (without license plate) front bumpers.
In my opinion the variations with the thin front steps never came with the front license plate casting. Therefore, the variations 4 and 7 in Stannard’s listing most likely do not exist.

The picture below shows two models with thin front steps and with two different base patterns (one with Less-common zig zag base pattern and the other with more common base pattern). Both models have thin front steps, and braces between the body and the rear fenders.
I wonder if this body casting, the casting with the thin front steps, was ever coupled with the later issued base plates, the base plates with the tow guides.

Here is a picture showing newly discovered variations of this model, all having the combination of straight front bumper (without license plate), but with tow guides on the base. These combinations can be found with both types of base patterns (normal or zig zag type bases), and different front steps types. The front steps types include front steps type 2 (Front steps line below the bumper) and type 3 (Front steps line above bumper).
None of the models have front steps type 1 (thin front steps) which I wonder if they ever existed.

The picture below shows 4 models meant to show different combinations of bases (normal or zig zag type bases), tow guides, and front license plates (with license or without license).
The models showing on top are two unlisted variations, having different tow guides and base patterns on the base and straight front bumper (without license plate).
The models below on the picture have different base and tow guides patterns, and both have front bumper plates.

The picture below shows two models; one with silver tone and the other with gold tone plastic bases. There are also models with a lighter gold tone plastic bases.

Here is a picture showing the bed covers in orange color. The plastic canopies come with different molding numbers, numbers one through eight. The mold casting numbers can be seen inside under the roofs.

Last edited by durangokid on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
DurangoKid