24c Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow.

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
SMS88

Re: 24c Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow.

Post by SMS88 »

I dont know if there are 2 (most likely) , 3 or 4 different 24c bodies however the interior central roof rivit does enable us to segregate 1 body from the others,with this rivit being in place into the SF production run.
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

ok was able to get some pics after my new 24 rolls arrived...here it is (on top) paired with the other one i have

here you can see the detail of the trim

here you can see the rear door handle...one os close to the door edge than the other

Please use a web hosting site (like photobucket) to store pictures so you can post them here, using attachments makes it hard to view the pictures when you have to scroll to see them. Seeing comparisons of models is hard to see with attachments too.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hello Brad, a very nice example of the model with the 'Trim-Strip', much better than mine. As I am trying to compile a diffinitive list of this version, is it possible you can show me the wheels a little bit clearer and show the inside, are they hollow or solid.

Thank's in advance if you could do that Brad,

Cheers,
GHOSTHUNTER.
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

thanks...the car on top has all hollow wheels...the one on the bottom has 3 solid and one hollow
Please use a web hosting site (like photobucket) to store pictures so you can post them here, using attachments makes it hard to view the pictures when you have to scroll to see them. Seeing comparisons of models is hard to see with attachments too.
mrmoko

Post by mrmoko »

Hey guys , I don't know what to make of this . These are both code 7 . One has a huge hole on the centre section . Are there others like this ? Gaz
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Brad Pittiful wrote:thanks...the car on top has all hollow wheels...the one on the bottom has 3 solid and one hollow
Thank's Brad, thats very kind of you, 1970 was a very busy year for Lesney with the continuation of converting models to 'Superfast' and your lower model of that pair, often has mixed wheels more than a matched set and evidence of this starting to take place is with the 'Trim-Strip' version as so many of these also have mixed wheels and it's nice when you do find one with a matched set of wheels, which you have.

Thank's again Brad,
GHOSTHUNTER.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

mrmoko wrote:Hey guys , I don't know what to make of this . These are both code 7 . One has a huge hole on the centre section . Are there others like this ? Gaz
Hello "mrmoko", the 'Regular Wheel' version of #24c received the little circle in the boot on the last versions before the conversion to 'Superfast' wheels, so I would expect to see a matt finish baseplate, the inner rear wheel-arch braces, the full towing facility at the front and the patent number on the base, if your model with the boot circle has all these, it does come from the period just before 'Superfast' wheels were coming out.

I have 12 versions of the 'Regular Wheel' model and none of them have the boot circle, until the model that I have described above as matching yours, which for me is version number 13 and I consider this as my very last 'Regular Wheel' model before the start of my 'Superfast' versions.

Thank's for posting the picture,
GHOSTHUNTER.
matchbox360

Post by matchbox360 »

This has turned out to be a very informative thread! Image

Many thanks, Ghosty, and everyone else, for expanding on this classic model and its features. The subtle details, including the ‘trim-line’ make this a superior casting, IMHO.. I’m surprised Lesney did away with them in the later re-tooling. The earlier version was so much more faithful to the original!

Cheers, Ken
Variations are the spice of life.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Thank's matchbox360, the model was launched in March 1967 on the catalogue number 24 and was the first new model in 1967 for Lesney in their 'Regular Wheel' range. It is quite a good representation of the real car, the only down side is the the lack of a petrol filler flap on the rear off-side wing, no front wing side marker lamps and the leading edge of the boot lid is curving away from the bottom of the screen, instead of following the same curvature.

I have heard some criticism leveled at the model in as much that it looks too squat, not 'grand' enough for a Rolls-Royce, but apart from that, I think its a really fine model, it was kept in full production, when it was joined by model number 69, in late 1969, the 2 door drophead coupe version, made from all new tooling except the boot lid, it was borrowed from #24 and is totally wrong, because the coachbuilt Silver Shadow cars do not use the same boot lid as the saloon cars, but it was still a toy after all, so a little bit of 'Artistic Licence' would be fine!

Model #24 went through the 'Superfast' transition period with a couple of modifications to the main body, mainly the rear wheel-arches were opened up to allow for larger wheels and the removal of that waistline 'Trim-Strip', it also received mixed sets of wheels, of the solid and hollow design.

When I have a more detailed listing of the 'Trim-Strip' versions, I will post a more detailed article of this model, but don't wait for me to do it, anyone else wanting to post pictures and information is more than welcome, it's our forum, not mine!

GHOSTHUNTER.
kbean63

Post by kbean63 »

Ah, my brain has turned to mush at this point. So is this the easy-to-find or the hard-to-find version?
Attachments
IMG_201312293783.jpg
IMG_201312293783.jpg (54.92 KiB) Viewed 667 times
IMG_2013122955729.jpg
IMG_2013122955729.jpg (59.22 KiB) Viewed 667 times