RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Dinky toys by Meccano
toysnz

Re: RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Post by toysnz »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:The little Blue Austin looks like the 'BARCLAY' Bantam. The single seater with driver is most certainly a 'BARCLAY' with the frontal appearance of a Packard.

The Green Tractor unit is also 'BARCLAY' and would have been towing a flat trailer designed to carry Two Barclay cars.

Ghosthunter.
While the blue one looks like it could be Barclay, it also could be Kansas Toys, Tootsietoy, or Lincoln White Metal Works, all of which produced slush cast toys around the 1920 to 1940s. In many cases there can be debate about the actual manufacturer of a particular item since many were near identical and none carried a manufacturer's mark.

Ian
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

The little Blue model only looks like a Barclay Bantam, I did not actually I.D. it as 'BARCLAY', so those brands Ian has mentioned need looking at in more detail.

Ghosthunter.
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:The little Blue model only looks like a Barclay Bantam, I did not actually I.D. it as 'BARCLAY', so those brands Ian has mentioned need looking at in more detail.

Ghosthunter.
A quick google (https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Kansa ... 48&bih=604) for images shows the Barclay in green with solid white rubber wheels. Further down the page is another green un-named item with solid metal wheels 9the link to ebay doesn't work properly so the auction is probably too old).

Ian
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Thanks Ian / Kevin

I will do some research when they arrive.

This weeks arrivals are a couple more earlier metal wheel French Dinky Triporteurs in different colours to the one I already had.

I spent an hour this morning removing the overpainting on the green version, Tricky to do as it was really hard enamel and only pure acetone would get it off. Very delicate process to not remove too much original paint. This is what is looked like before.

Only other addition this week is a Shell Refuelller Copy kit.

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by RSSierra on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

The "Barclay" / Dinky lot previewed above arrived yesterday from the States

The truck is a Barclay Car Transporter Tractor Unit.

The car with a driver seems to be fairly rare as only two photos' are available on line of the same model both refer to it as a Barclay Packard from the 1920/30s.

The next one is unattributed at this stage, a google search for Barclay Bantam show a similar model but it has headlihghts cast into the front fender tops this model doesn't. Whatever it is it's in great condition and I love the naivete of the casting, particularly that front grill. Looks like nails for axles too.

Next to a Dinky 35 series for comparison.

The Dinky's in this lot all look to be immediately Post War.

2 Seater Salmson with smooth hubs. Really good paint, shame about the headlight.

Sunbeam Talbot with a single smooth hub.

Alvis

Badly repainted Alvis, was originally Burgundy

The rest of the lots below were obtained here in NZ.

A couple of Disc Harrows

An early and a late Halesowen Farm Trailers

Mower incomplete and broken hitch

A couple of aircraft.

Supermarine swift

Pre-war 1935 -40 Fairey Battle, just needs a propellor. Stunning condition.

A couple of replacement Pre-War Liners for my Famous Liner set, Whilst these two have the beginnings of fatigue they are in better shape the the one I already had with more severe fatigue.

Queen of Bermuda

Britannic

Finally a very late production box for the Alfetta GTV I already had.

That's all for now, am preparing pictures of my acquisitions that pre-dated this thread and will start uploading these shortly.

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by RSSierra on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Dave, I have kindly borrowed the picture of the Barclay 'Look-a-Like' showing the underside. I notice how bright the base metal seems compaired to the Dinky next to it.

I am wondering if this is a white metal model and want to ask you if the metal inside my Red highlight is soft, a lot softer than mazac. If it is, can you then gently press a sharp metal object (edge of a screw driver blade), into the bare metal of the underside away from the rear axle, about where my Yellow highlight is. If you can easily put an indentation into the surface then it will be white metal and of more recent production from the mid-70's onwards.

Ghosthunter.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

It's not white metal, hardness is the same as the Mazak Dinky. Pointed end of side cutters leaves minimal impression with quite a bit of force.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

OK Dave, thank's for the clarification, that puts it back a number of Years production wise. Looking at the overall treatment of the inner edge, I.E. the surplus metal that makes up what we could class as the underside area which holds the axles, it is very similar to Barclay, but this could probably be said of a lot toys from the same period.

In my first appraisal of this model I did say it looks like a Barclay, but was pretty sure it was not a Barclay, the thickness of the metal seen in the window openings is much thinner than a Barclay.

Ghosthunter.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

A slow couple of weeks for arrivals over Xmas and New Years, so as well as what has turned up I've posted below a few that have been on the shelves for a while plus some large groups whilst I was relocating things around my model room.

Arrivals first.

Queen Mary

Pre War Clipper Flying Boat - Missing Floats unfortunately

Plymouth Fury Convertible

Michigan Dozer

Ruston Bucyrus Excavator - One of my favourite Dinky's That I cant seem to resist, This one needs repro exhaust and 1 track.

I won the lot below last night, anyone got any ideas on the Carter Paterson signaged item middle back. Not tinplate according to the seller, but diecast. Won't be arriving for 4-5 days and research hasn't turned up a great deal, could be a Dublo container or any early mechanical horse load?

Now for my Fodens and and Leyland Octopusses - all out of their various hiding places and on our dining room table. Originals, Repaints and Atlas Editions all in the same place. Flat Decks, Tailboards, Chain Trucks and Tankers. These old trucks from the 40's and 50's are just great. Apologies for the various angle overkill.

Last edited by RSSierra on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

In the process of rearranging I also photographed a few of my duplicates and several good code three Antars with Euclid loads. I've had all these items for a while.

Skip Truck

Antar Transporters and their French Berliet equivalents

AEC Tankers Etc

Leyland Dump Trucks and Test Chassis

Parisien Buses

Individual Pictures of the various transporters and loads

A few more photos at the bottom of the link below:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/qxepb53a/a4c3eb54/

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by RSSierra on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:43 am, edited 3 times in total.