new collection, any advice and help please ?/

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
danny83

new collection, any advice and help please ?/

Post by danny83 »

Hello fellow collectors, I'm looking for any advice and guidance in relation to a collection i recently inherited from my father, i would like to keep the collection going, and hopefully add to it myself, but need advice on how to best move forward with what i already have.
firstly its a collection of Dinky Toys, some boxed in great condition, some boxed in good condition, some without boxes in good condition and a lot in not to great condition unfortunately. Im going to post photos below of what i have, like i said i inherited these from my father and would like to keep them really, some will need cleaning, what would be the best way of doing this, also storing the cars and boxes ???
As i said before a lot are not in the best of condition, is it worth me trying to restore them ?, not personally but professionally, where could i get this done and would this have an effect on the value, is it worth trying to acquire the original boxes if possible ?

Im really happy i received them, they look great and I'm looking forward to collecting myself, it seems like you have a great community on here that would also be great to get involved in :D

any advice about the cars, maintaining them, value and restoring would be greatly appreciated, look forward to hearing from anybody !
Thank you
the collection
the collection
IMG_968.jpg (77.73 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
IMG_965.jpg
IMG_965.jpg (47.84 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
IMG_966.jpg
IMG_966.jpg (80.26 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
are they worth sourcing boxes for ?
are they worth sourcing boxes for ?
IMG_958.jpg (64.31 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
IMG_967.jpg
IMG_967.jpg (77.71 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
worth restoring
worth restoring
IMG_963.jpg (58.28 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
worth restoring ?
worth restoring ?
IMG_962.jpg (56.96 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
Attachments
is it worth sourcing boxes
is it worth sourcing boxes
IMG_964.jpg (48.13 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
Last edited by danny83 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
YYS4BOB

Re: new collection, any advice and help please ?/

Post by YYS4BOB »

Can a mod resize these so we can actually see what's in the pictures please.
Bob
motorman

Post by motorman »

Think I have them all resized.
Attachments
IMG_968.jpg
IMG_968.jpg (77.73 KiB) Viewed 2994 times
IMG_958.jpg
IMG_958.jpg (64.31 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
IMG_962.jpg
IMG_962.jpg (56.96 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
IMG_963.jpg
IMG_963.jpg (58.28 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
IMG_964.jpg
IMG_964.jpg (48.13 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
IMG_965.jpg
IMG_965.jpg (47.84 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
IMG_966.jpg
IMG_966.jpg (80.26 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
IMG_967.jpg
IMG_967.jpg (77.71 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

Much better, thanks.
Bob
danny83

Post by danny83 »

motorman wrote:Think I have them all resized.
Thank you for that motorman, I've placed your images in my original post now
thanks again
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

The first thing to do is establish what you actually have, what's rare and what's not, and what the obvious gaps are. In order to do this, you will need a good reference book. Although it's not my area of collecting, I believe that the best book for Dinky Toys is Mick & Sue Richardson's "Dinky Toys and Modelled Miniatures", copies of which are always available on Ebay, both and BiNs and auctions.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Looking at what has been photographed, I would say that is quite a significant collection with some delightful models that if taken onto something like ebay should reward you. Personally I would keep all of them because of the connection to your Dad, having lost my Father mere Months ago, I am in the same position and have inherited a lot of collectible items including some models.

In my view, professional restoration will only be of benefit for vary rare models and will be very costly, meaning you will then have to sell them to get your Money back!

Cleaning should be done with care and with a soft dusting cloth, soft modelling paint brushes and household 'Pledge' polish in the Blue tin. It is tempting to wash some of the older less elaborate Dinky toys in warm soapy water, but this is not really the ideal way as the paint has suffered enough through old age and water may increase any rusting on mild steel parts like axles etc.

Here is a good guide to start with if you want to see what exists in your collection...http://www.vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk/dinkyindex.htm

If you have models in your collection that you can not find in the guide above, just come back here or to the Dinky section here...viewforum.php?f=15 to ask us any questions.

By the way, welcombe to the forum, we look forward to seeing some of those models in more detail, have fun!

Ghosthunter.
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

A huge Dinky collection has just gone through Vectis.

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewAuctio ... &Section=0

You need to register to see prices realised, it's easy and free.
Condition is paramount, including the boxes, on all but the earliest models which were in trade packs and suffered from metal fatigue.
Restored or repainted models have a much reduced value as they are no longer original.
Bob
Moyboy

Post by Moyboy »

Collecting Dinky models can be very expensive as probably one of the most expensive diecasts around. Some are very hard to find especially certain colour ways and the larger chain lorries and vans. Its very nice to be left a collection like this but to carry on you will need perseverance to find those hard models so good luck if you decide this is the way to go.
Redline67

Post by Redline67 »

Personally i would not restore any of them .....they are only original once ....if restored they will just be classed as " repaints / restored" and a lot of collectors would not even consider adding them to a collection.....obtaining original boxes would increase value ...and assist with storage ....reproduction boxes are available...but will not increase value by anything other than the cost of the box ...normally a few pounds .....if you want to add to your collection...go to a local toyfair and see what you like & handle the toys which is better when you start out rather than buying from the net....most dealers are friendly and will give good advice

regards