#67 Datsun 280z in blister-All Black England LP & Co Base

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
numi

#67 Datsun 280z in blister-All Black England LP & Co Base

Post by numi »

Hi All,
This is my 1st All Black specimen with clear glass,Lesney Prod & Co,made in England base and cast-shut doors.I understood that these came or were produced mainly for the TP sets.However,this specimen is in the original Uk bubble and the 1st ive come across.
Does anybody on here have one in a similar card or perhaps have seen or heard about others extant?
Thanks in advance,
numi
Attachments
IMG_3520.JPG
IMG_3520.JPG (110.32 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
IMG_3528.JPG
IMG_3528.JPG (111.56 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
IMG_3526.JPG
IMG_3526.JPG (181.69 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
Rob

Re: #67 Datsun 280z in blister-All Black England LP & Co Bas

Post by Rob »

Hi Numi, hope all is well with you. I have shown 3 photos below of the all black Datsun 260Z, two have Opaque glass (light and dark glass variations) and the other is the same as the one you show with clear glass.

Although I put all 3 into boxes they did not originally come that way. The two with Opaque glass came in Twin Packs and the one with clear glass came in exactly the same US blister pack that your one is in. From my experience I think the clear glass variation is harder to find than either of the Opaque variations.

All the best
Rob
Attachments
Clear glass
Clear glass
Datsun 260Z all black.jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
Light Opaque glass
Light Opaque glass
Datsun 260Z all black LT glass.jpg (60.79 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
Dark Opaque glass
Dark Opaque glass
Datsun 260Z all black DK glass.jpg (44.79 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
fixer

Post by fixer »

I have a loose one how it came originally I can't say
reg
numi

Post by numi »

Thanks Reg :D

Hi Rob,im fine thank you and hope u are too and that u had a wonderful Christmas.
Thanks for the lovely clear pics of your variants and your indepth explanation,most appreciated :D. The strange thing is that ive never seen another in a Us blister before.It proves that that are possibly more extant in collections that havnt yet surfaced.
Thanks again,
numi
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
bobneumann

Post by bobneumann »

Notice that the Blister Pack is a U.S. style that does not have the name of the model on it. I remember that era well and these Blister Packs were used to "dump" a lot of strange models in the U.S. market. It was a great time for variation hunting.

Similar to how rarer models were "dumped" in the European market in 5-packs including the white Piston Popper, etc.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yes, it was a great time to find rare models as you say, the 71a Blue Wreck truck was another from that time in the multi packs as well as the 46a Silver Mercedes 300SE.
matchboxkiwi

Post by matchboxkiwi »

The opaque model, dose it have anything to do with the glow in the dark track sets issued around the time these were available?

When I saw the heading to this thread I thought it was going to be about our national rugby team, who are known as the All Blacks.
We take on the Lions tonight in a game and next year get a chance to thrash England!!

Cheers, Steve
Matchboxkiwi
ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

bobneumann wrote:Notice that the Blister Pack is a U.S. style that does not have the name of the model on it. I remember that era well and these Blister Packs were used to "dump" a lot of strange models in the U.S. market. It was a great time for variation hunting.

Similar to how rarer models were "dumped" in the European market in 5-packs including the white Piston Popper, etc.
Actually the blisterpack shown above does have the name "DATSUN 260 Z" printed below the model, as you can see in the close-up picture.

It does however not have a model number printed. In spite of the printed copyright date of 1980, this model cannot have been issued any earlier than 1983. The Datsun 260 Z had been retired from the basic range at the end of 1982, and its number 67 was thereafter assigned to the "Flame Out" dragster in the US range, so when this model was issued, it was not part of the basic range anymore, hence no number printed.
ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

matchboxkiwi wrote:The opaque model, dose it have anything to do with the glow in the dark track sets issued around the time these were available?
These opaque windows definitely glow in the dark. There must be a connection with the track sets, although I am not sure if the Datsun 260 Z ever came in one of those track sets. At the time they usually contained the Porsche Turbo and/or Corvette. The Datsun and Ford Cortina with glow windows were more commonly found in twinpacks.
Rob

Post by Rob »

In UK the 55 Cortina with Glow windows is found quite a lot in the first issue light blue window box from 1982.