RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Dinky toys by Meccano
RSSierra

Re: RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Post by RSSierra »

Here's how they originally looked

You'll also likely notice I've run a wire wheel in a Dremel over the axle ends to get rid of the surface rust.
Last edited by RSSierra on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

RSSierra wrote:You'll also likely notice I've run a wire wheel in a Drexel over the axle ends to get rid of the surface rust.
Quite a difference between the before and after tyres!

For axles and axle-ends, I find this is remarkably effective.
Office eraser.JPG
Office eraser.JPG (16.99 KiB) Viewed 992 times
Ghosthunter.
Fred7A

Post by Fred7A »

Good tip for cleaning tyres, although I don't think I'd be brave enough to use any thinners on paintwork! I find Autoglym polish useful for bringing up grubby paintwork, and can be used to remove rub marks. I bought it for my real car, but it nearly all gets used on toys! Cotton buds are certainly useful for getting into the little nooks and crannies.

That's a good collection of Triporteurs. Do you know what scale this item is?
starni999

Post by starni999 »

Hi Dave,
I absolutely love the A105, it's one of my all time Dinky Toys.
As far as I know the variations as to colours / hubs are:

All cream body / Dark blue stripe / Cream hubs.
Cream body / Dark blue roof / Dark blue stripe / cream hubs (?)
Cream body / Light blue roof / Light blue stripe / cream hubs
Cream body / Light blue roof / Light blue stripe / Spun hubs.

All grey body / Red stripe / Red hubs
All grey body / Red stripe / Grey hubs (?)
Grey body / Red roof / Red stripe / Grey hubs
Grey body / Red roof/ Red stripe / Red hubs (?)
Grey body / Red roof / Red stripe / Spun hubs

Those marked (?) I don't have, but they're probably out there.

Cheers
CW
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

I was leaving for work this morning, when a courier presented me with the parcel below....

Shouldn't take three guesses as to the contents of the box.

More photos to come when I get an opportunity.

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by RSSierra on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Some trades are easier than others I am sure we all agree. Most go fine, but occasionally you get a transaction which tests your resilience. For me that was the lot shown back on page 37 of this thread.

I bought a really good set of items in late April this year, and was refunded with no explanation 3 days later. On checking the same items had been sold two days before I bought them by the same seller. So suspicions all round as to whether they actually existed. I questioned the seller and he told me he was selling on behalf and the owner had misplaced them or possibly donated them. The seller was in the rag trade selling predominantly vintage jackets, shirts, ties, etc. So I didn't expect him to have a great deal of knowledge on Dinky Toys.

Less than two weeks ago I'm looking at ebay on a Saturday afternoon and up pops the same group of items, same photo's and description - different seller this time though. US shipping only, but I bought them and then explained the above to the seller. He agreed to ship to NZ, but communication was laboured and I couldn't get any real sense out of him. The one thing that made me want to believe he was kosher was he was also in the rag trade selling jackets, etc. Once again only non clothing items were the Dinky toys.

Doubt persisted until 12 Days later the parcel above arrives. But wait that's not the end of the dramas with this trade, of the 13 items listed and photographed in the lot only 12 have arrived. How do you do that?? Immediate contact with the seller once I discovered this and a promise from him of next day shipment, along with apologies for the mistake.

Once I get past the protracted issues with this lot I am very happy I actually managed to add them to my collection. I'd say there in the majority immediate pre or post world war two. Smooth hubs, thin axles and pierced baseplates on a few suggest this. Only a couple of headlights, a windscreen and a set of tracks missing, with generally shiny and complete paintwork. Tyres look original but probably aren't, I definitely won't be cleaning this lot. The patina on these models is consistent and wont be messed with by me. Definitely as a group the best condition models I have from this Period!

23A Racing Car

30C Daimler

36B Bentley

Image]
Last edited by RSSierra on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

39F Studebaker State Commander

38A Frazer Nash BMW

23E Speed of the Wind

30D Vauxhall

23B Hotchkiss

Last edited by RSSierra on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

35B Midget Racer - The only one to suffer damage in transit, with a split front tyre.

152A Light Tank

I really like the fact that the kid who owned this cared enough about it to scratch his name in the baseplate whilst keeping the rest of it such great condition.

60A Light Racer

62M Light Transports

The item which is still to arrive is the Light Transport plane in Blue. Pictures of this one to be added when it arrives.

The only other arrival this week is a long sought after Hong Kong Dinky Nash Rambler Classic Stationwagon.

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by RSSierra on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
starni999

Post by starni999 »

Hi Dave,
So glad you got them. What a weird story though? So did this seller buy them off the first one then relist? Strange.
They are all really nice mate, the 23a is in amazing condition.
Hope the last one turns up, again, weird.
Cheers
CW
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I agree with Chris, the 23a is in amazing condition especially around the nose, very little signs of furniture damage.

I don't remember the last time I saw a Light Tank, so that is nice to see.

Those planes...how on Earth have they survived in such great condition?

The other models are again in very good condition for their age. The Bentley is I believe the first closed base version with signs of the closure tooling to delete the slots for passengers when the base was used earlier on the other models carrying them.

For many collectors the Hong Kong model is a love it or hate it type of model, as they regard Hong Kong sourced models not true Dinkies. I don't have a problem with them, I love them and cherish the sole example in my collection although it is so long since I've seen it, I can not remember which model I have... :oops:

Ghosthunter.