RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Dinky toys by Meccano
RSSierra

Re: RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Post by RSSierra »

Picked up the majority of the playworn models below cheaply, i.e. for what the Porsche normally goes for. Boxes are taped and missing flaps, etc. But I'm not unhappy with them. A couple of bad repaints which will be stripped and restored at some stage.

VW

Aston Martin

Jaguar XK

Porsche

Triumph

Bristol

Nash

Lunar Bug. Not one I would have picked up on its own. I am not a fan of the Sci-Fi and TV based Dinky Toys.

Now on to the better stuff:

Spitfire

Oldsmobile

The best and most anticipated arrivals this week are a pair of Triporteurs.

I am also awaiting an earlier production metal wheeled version which should be here in a week or so. Will do a group shot when it arrives, possibly with my two Atlas versions if I can dif them out.

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by RSSierra on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

A great mix of models. The tyres on the Karman look a bit too White, maybe they are modern replacements. I'm a bit old fashioned but I like the Red and Black colour choice over the other colour used for this model.

Shame about the hinge assembly on the Red Triportuer, but amazingly it still has the cover!

Different sized tyres between the Red and Yellow models, is this common for this model, I know it was quite a popular model and comes in quite a number of colours.

It's always nice to see something connecting to Rolls-Royce among your little collections you post here and the Spitfire is the star model for me, a nice example with very little playware.

Ghosthunter.
Fred7A

Post by Fred7A »

The Porsche is nice. It is really quite comical what a half-hearted effort Meccano made when picking out the lights on these. Were they running short of silver and red paint?

Those Triporteurs are great, I look forward to seeing the metal-wheeled version.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Would you believe the same lot has just been sold again........over a month later. Fishy! More to come.
motorman

Post by motorman »

I love that wacky looking Bristol :D
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

motorman wrote:I love that wacky looking Bristol :D
An early example of Aerodynamics coming into car design!

Ghosthunter.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:A great mix of models. The tyres on the Karman look a bit too White, maybe they are modern replacements. I'm a bit old fashioned but I like the Red and Black colour choice over the other colour used for this model.

Ghosthunter.
They are original tyres on the Karmann, these were really dirty and stained. Rubbing them down with Tamiya Acrylic thinner made the clean again. As a playworn model I wasn't too concerned with them not looking period with the car.

The Metal Wheel Triporteur arrived and looks better than I was expecting as the original auction photo was very dark.

3 Generations of this model

Only other arrival this week is this Austin

[url=https://postimages.cc/]Image[/url
Last edited by RSSierra on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

RSSierra wrote:
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:A great mix of models. The tyres on the Karman look a bit too White, maybe they are modern replacements. I'm a bit old fashioned but I like the Red and Black colour choice over the other colour used for this model.

Ghosthunter.
They are original tyres on the Karmann, these were really dirty and stained. Rubbing them down with Tamiya Acrylic thinner made the clean again.
So that's how to clean those White tyres, thank's for tip. Love your latest Metal wheeled Triporteur, just the right amount of 'Patina' and playware making for a very displayable model and it looks to be all there, great find.

Then the Austin, lovely looking model of a Family car and while none of my Family were real Austin fans (Dad drove a 'Baby' Austin A35 and owned an Austin Westminster for a few Weeks but was mainly a Vauxhall Man!), I do like them and think the Dinky is a very good representation. Your model is in great condition and I am now assuming the tyres have been cleaned again... :D

Ghosthunter.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Your welcome, using a cue tip with the Tamiya acrylic thinner over the whole model removes years of grime including skin oil, just gently rub afterwards with a soft cloth and the paintwork looks so much better on most Dinky toys. Play worn lots which have been in close contact with other models and have different colour paint rubs clean up really well too.

Be wary on the earlier models as the thinner as well as getting rid of grime takes the paint off too.

You can see the original colour of the Austin wheels tight up against the hub.

Cheers

Dave
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Yep, see what you mean.
Original but cleaned tyre here..JPG
Original but cleaned tyre here..JPG (30.83 KiB) Viewed 724 times
Ghostunter.