Malibu´s custom models

Any brand, any year, show us your projects.
Tinman

Re: Malibu´s custom models

Post by Tinman »

I thought it looked great in the two tone (2 color) paint job.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
MatchboxFreak

Post by MatchboxFreak »

I think there have been earlier threads about how Lesney painted these 2 tone cars. If I have it right, Lesney would first spray the entire vehicle with the light (roof) paint and then use a top cap mask before spraying the darker (body) color. (I'm not sure if they baked the first coat before applying the second coat.)

Might a top cap mask be easier to use and more effective instead of trying to mask the entire body while spraying the rooof?
Happy hunting!
Kurt
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

MatchboxFreak wrote:I think there have been earlier threads about how Lesney painted these 2 tone cars. If I have it right, Lesney would first spray the entire vehicle with the light (roof) paint and then use a top cap mask before spraying the darker (body) color. (I'm not sure if they baked the first coat before applying the second coat.)

Might a top cap mask be easier to use and more effective instead of trying to mask the entire body while spraying the rooof?
That's always how I do mine. I paint the roof first then use my own home made mask "cap" which sets on the vehicle and then spray the body color. It produces very authentic results and there is no worry about causing damage from masking tape or masking films. I bake my models too and in the case of a two tone model I bake the first color and then the second as well.
matchboxtom

Post by matchboxtom »

Tinman wrote: That's always how I do mine. I paint the roof first then use my own home made mask "cap" which sets on the vehicle and then spray the body color. It produces very authentic results and there is no worry about causing damage from masking tape or masking films. I bake my models too and in the case of a two tone model I bake the first color and then the second as well.
What temp to you bake? Haven't tried that. Does it help prevent chipping? I have not used primers and the paint seems very fragile to minor chpping.

I have a cheap toater over. Would lowest setting be proper. Going to have to try it.

Tom
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I put them in an oven pre-heated to 130F to 135F and leave them in about 20 minutes. It does wonders in speeding up the curing of the paint and makes them much safer to handle. There are some paints where I leave them in a little longer but those are not paints I use to often due to their more difficult nature (but sometimes I need a particular color that I can only get in that brand). I use a full size oven without the racks so I have plenty of room to bake more then one model at a time and don't have to worry about banging the model about getting it in or out of a small space like a toaster oven. But, for a one model bake, I'm sure you could come up with an acceptable system using the little oven. Don't trust the oven and use an oven thermometer to make sure 130* is actually 130*.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Hi all,

I´m looking for a beater of a 18b caterpillar.
If the tracks and or the driver´s head are missing it doesn´t matter.
Missing exhaust pipe is no problem too.
The dozer blade should be intact.
If anyone got one over please let me know.

Thanks
Stephan
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Hi,

yesterday I finished this Lincoln Continental convertible.
(c) Malibu
(c) Malibu
Lincoln_Coninental_16.JPG (24.68 KiB) Viewed 813 times
(c) Malibu
(c) Malibu
Lincoln_Coninental_17.JPG (18.05 KiB) Viewed 813 times
Thats how I got it for 50 Cent at a fleamarket.
(c) Malibu
(c) Malibu
Lincoln_Coninental_1.JPG (140.9 KiB) Viewed 813 times
Stephan
motorman

Post by motorman »

That's brilliant Stephan!!
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Makes me think of Dallas, Texas in 1963 :(
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Tinman wrote:Makes me think of Dallas, Texas in 1963 :(
Same here Joe, a tragic Day for many but a good Day for many others...the start of the World's longest running Science Fiction television series in the UK!

Ghosthunter.

P.S. great rebuild Stephan and I love the colour.