1968 Matchbox Time Capsule

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
matchboxkiwi

1968 Matchbox Time Capsule

Post by matchboxkiwi »

Is any one involved with this project? The Smithsonian Institute Helium Centennial.
The second capsule is due to be opened next year.
What happened to the contents of the first one opened in 1993?
IMG_0330.JPG
IMG_0330.JPG (102.83 KiB) Viewed 863 times
IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0331.JPG (96.94 KiB) Viewed 863 times
IMG_0332.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG (99.4 KiB) Viewed 863 times
I''ll be over 100 years old when the next one is opened!!!!!!!

Cheers, Steve
Matchboxkiwi
Attachments
IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0331.JPG (96.94 KiB) Viewed 863 times
Rob

Re: 1968 Matchbox Time Capsule

Post by Rob »

Fascinating Steve and thanks for showing this. It would be interesting to know where the capsules are and who is responsible for passing on the knowledge of their location for the future so they do not get forgotten about. Less than 20 years ago a time capsule was buried at the 02 arena site in London by the Blue Peter television show and as the link below shows the exact location had already been forgotten about and workmen accidentally dug it up and damaged it, it was due for opening in 2050. Makes you wonder how the Matchbox one destined to be opened in 2968 will ever be remembered and who in fact will actually be bothered then about it 1000 years later, unless of course this site is still going :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02 ... unearthed/
matchboxkiwi

Post by matchboxkiwi »

I've just done some research on this and apparently the Helium Centennial time columns monument was moved in 1982 to the Don Harrington Discovery Centre,
Amarillo, Texas.
1200 Streit Drive.
Toll free ph 1-800-784-9548 It's open Tuesday - Saturday 9.30am - 4,30pm Sunday 12.00 until 4.30

The contents of the 1993 capsule are on display their. Perhaps one of our Texas members could go down for a look and take some photo's.

An interesting foot note:
Upon researching this and putting in the search engine Smithsonian Institute, you can still buy their time capsules on Amerzon.

Another interesting thing was that the Smithsonian Institute symbol is exactly like the sun burst sticker used on some of the matchbox 1-75 series cars.

Cheers, Steve
Matchboxkiwi
motorman

Post by motorman »

What a wonderful thought. The Vintage British Diecast Forum still going strong in the year 2968!!!

I'm going to kryogenically freeze myself!!!!!! :D :lol:
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
motorman

Post by motorman »

Mmmmnnn.....who's going to look after my collection for the 951 years i will be a human icepole?
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

motorman wrote:What a wonderful thought. The Vintage British Diecast Forum still going strong in the year 2968!!!
We should just about be finishing updating Nick's code listing by then... :shock:

Ghosty.
matchboxkiwi

Post by matchboxkiwi »

Yes, you should be about right by then Kevin.
However there will be one last casting to find. The very very first casting of the MB 44 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud made in 1957 with a roof rack just like the recently found Thunderbird.
It will be found by your grandson thirty six generations removed from you! Global warming would have dried the canal out that ran along behind the old Lesney factory in Lee Conservancy Road. It will now be a desert and just like the Egyptian artefacts it will be perfectly preserved under the sand.
The strong dry hot southern winds would blow the dry hot sand away and quite by chance your grandson of thirty six generations in to the future would find it and be able to complete your collection.
The last human hands to have touched this model would have been that of Jack Odells, when he rejected it from the Tuesday board meeting and threw it out of the board room window into the canal.
Jacks, reasoning for this would be that a Rolls Royce should never be seen to be as common as other cars and have a roof rack on it. If you can't fit all your luggage in, just buy another Rolls Royce!

That's how I think Nicks code listings will finish!

Cheers, Steve
Matchboxkiwi
Batterseaboy

Post by Batterseaboy »

would love that