Weird blue SF Mercedes covered truck #1

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
kbean63

Re: Weird blue SF Mercedes covered truck #1

Post by kbean63 »

Sorry it took so long to post these but my PC is on it's last legs and it takes forever to accomplish anything. Now that I compare this truck directly next to a regular wheels version I can see that the color is distinctly different. Still, it doesn't seem nearly as "neon" as the powder blue pictured here: http://vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk/1index/sf1-e.htm
I apologize for the lighting. I used my super-bright building contractor's light, my drafting light and every single light in the room and still got shadows. I should have borrowed my dad's tungsten lights.
Attachments
I don't see any number anywhere.
I don't see any number anywhere.
TEMP1B.jpg (277.73 KiB) Viewed 643 times
TEMP3.jpg
TEMP3.jpg (345.13 KiB) Viewed 643 times
60 watt blue?? I probably should have included one of my playworn regular wheels, the blue truck looks a lot more like one of those than this minty.
60 watt blue?? I probably should have included one of my playworn regular wheels, the blue truck looks a lot more like one of those than this minty.
temp2.jpg (243.36 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Last edited by kbean63 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
kbean63

Post by kbean63 »

Compare to this:
Attachments
150 watt blue.
150 watt blue.
temp4.jpg (207.96 KiB) Viewed 642 times
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

kbean63 wrote:Compare to this:
In this photo the gold is a genuine SF1 but the blue is a post 1977 retooled Two pack item. There are some subtle differences between both castings, most obvious is the front bumper tow slot design and the place were No. 1 has been removed or in the case of the blue,never been on the tooling in the first place
kbean63

Post by kbean63 »

Okay then. Back to my original question - does anyone think that my blue truck was originally the same powder blue as the powder blue truck next to the gold truck in the last photo, and then faded over time, or a different color? I guess you're saying it doesn't matter because it's worthless, but I'm curious.
jeff f

Post by jeff f »

hi, now we got better pictures i can see i was mistaken over the colour, but its a diffrent blue than i am use to seeing, like to see it in hand
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

The pic taken from the guide is a vectis photograph and it is over exposed, but your one still looks to be a powder blue rather than a light blue, interesting, maybe you need to photograph it next to an IMS International Haulage version, also photographing it outside without using a flash will show the colour more accurately.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK