Dinky Toys Honest John Missile

Dinky toys by Meccano
4D2D

Dinky Toys Honest John Missile

Post by 4D2D »

Hi,
I'm looking for some help please.
I am reaching out to anyone who has the original plastic Honest John missile. I have just designed a 3d printed version
of this item and I now need to scale it to size. I'm looking for the measurement from the top of the tip to the bottom of the rocket.
Attachments
dinky-toys-665-honest-john measure.jpg
dinky-toys-665-honest-john measure.jpg (57.02 KiB) Viewed 1808 times
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Dinky Toys Honest John Missile

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

6 inches or 152.4 millimeters is the length of the Dinky Missile, hope that helps.

Ghosthunter.
4D2D

Post by 4D2D »

Thank you very much indeed that's a great help.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

It would be nice to see some picture of your progress and the machine in operation if possible, then a few pictures of the printed item before and after it has been cleaned of surplus plastic, thank's.

Ghosthunter.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Hi,

Fine to see somebody else working with 3D-printing.
Which program do you use to design your parts?
Do you have your own printer?
Please show us the progress of your work - I´m very interested.

Stephan
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I will probably move this to the already established 3D printing thread we have somewhere!

Ghosthunter.
4D2D

Post by 4D2D »

missile 1.jpg
missile 1.jpg (55.57 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
OK well as this has got a little bit of interest I'll comment of the project.
I have attached two pictures one on the finished missile and the other the cad software I use.
Yes I do have a 3D printer and get a lot of fun from it. But don't think this is just a plug and go exercise far from it.
Although it's been around for some years now there's still a lot of experimenting with it. For the cad drawing I use 3ds Max
but it's your preference as there is a lot of software out there some of which take a lot of getting into.
Anyway see what you think Google is your friend and a lot of patience goes a long way
Attachments
screen shot 3.jpg
screen shot 3.jpg (54.54 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Looks good to me as a modern Day replacement. Be interesting to know what the texture of the surface is like when fully finished or if no further attention is need and the picture shows it as finished. Any chance of a close up of just a section of the rocket, thank's.

Ghosthunter.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

4D2D wrote:OK well as this has got a little bit of interest I'll comment of the project.
Yes there is - thanks for your answers.
4D2D wrote:Yes I do have a 3D printer and get a lot of fun from it. But don't think this is just a plug and go exercise far from it.
What kind of Printer is it?
Do you have the possibility to print in two ore even more colours at once ore is the top of the rocket painted or a seperate part?

Stephan
4D2D

Post by 4D2D »

Here's a picture of the missile close up cameras not too good at close range but you will see the ringing of each layer of the print as it builds up
On this print the resolution on the print file was set 0.04 mil in the slicer print software could go a little better but with that small amount your not going to
see much difference. At this setting total print time is 4 hours and that's on a small item like this.

To the other questions asked my printer is a Original Prusa MK2 quite an amazing machine as good as some of the machines costing well over thousand pounds.
This machine can print in 2 colours and even 4 colours if you have the add on attachment for the machine. In the machines firmware you have an option now to stop the print
change the colour and resume printing.
Attachments
fin 1.jpg
fin 1.jpg (64.32 KiB) Viewed 1742 times