Britain's Toy Car Wars

Idris
Site Admin

Britain's Toy Car Wars

Post by Idris »

Does anyone know anything about a book called "Britain's Toy Car Wars: Dinky vs. Corgi vs. Matchbox" written by Giles Chapman and being offered at heavily discounted prices on Ebay?
YYS4BOB

Re: Book Query

Post by YYS4BOB »

I've just bought it for under a tenner inc. P&P. Worth a gamble I thought. Will post review here when it arrives.
Bob
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

Soft back (Glossy). Square book, 20cm x 20cm. 128 pages. 15 chapters. Good quality pictures. If you can get it for under £10 as I did, it's well worth it in my opinion.
The only negative I have is that the text is printed in grey not black, and if your eyesight is poor in bad light like mine, it makes it difficult to read. VBD gets a mention in the Bibliography, as does the Matchboxmemories site.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Britains-Toy- ... SwiONYKr6h
Bob
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Well, I bought a copy and have just finished reading it.
As a Matchbox/Lesney enthusiast with little knowledge of other makes, I must say that i learned a great deal. Don't be misled by the use of non-mint examples (especially Matchbox) in some of the illustrations, and the incorrect series number given to the SF19 Road Dragster in one of the captions, this really is a good, well-written book. The short chapters make for easy reading (apart from the grey text, which is a nuisance in less than excellent light), and are written in a light, conversational style. The book takes us from the early days of Dinky through the War and into the 1950s, then explaining where Corgi and Lesney came from and how the three brands subsequently competed against each other, with ever-more exciting innovations. The impact of Hot Wheels is discussed, as are the rocky 1970s, ending up with the story of the demise of each of the three giants of the British toy industry. Comparisons are drawn with the real-life British motor industry and provide food for thought.
If you know some who is on the fringes of the hobby, just starting out, or who (like me) tends to focus on just one of Dinky, Corgi and Lesney, get them this book for Christmas. It will be read and it will be appreciated.
matchboxuk

Re: Britain's Toy Car Wars

Post by matchboxuk »

Thanks for the information. Apologies for missing your original link
jeff f

Post by jeff f »

the works book shops are selling this book for £5
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »