Very rare pre pro 75 thunderbird

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
Martin Avis

Re: Very rare pre pro 75 thunderbird

Post by Martin Avis »

Batterseaboy wrote:Hi,
I wish I had bought more from the stall because as I remember there was a lot of very rare pieces .
Milton
Hey Milton, I am sure we all share that sentiment. Imagine if we knew back then what we know now - the collections we'd all have! 8-)
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Martin Avis wrote:I get the impression from your posts that you are a little disappointed with our conjectures...
This unique casting is one of the most unexpected and exciting finds we have ever had posted on VBD (including the old Lefora days), and it has opened the door on a previously unknown chapter of model development.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Idris wrote:
Martin Avis wrote:I get the impression from your posts that you are a little disappointed with our conjectures...
This unique casting is one of the most unexpected and exciting finds we have ever had posted on VBD (including the old Lefora days), and it has opened the door on a previously unknown chapter of model development.
While this is true, lets be careful to note that everything discussed so far is pure speculation. In the past, we've given some members a very hard warning about "wild speculation" so lets be sure to note that no factual information comes along with this model.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Tinman wrote:
Idris wrote:
While this is true, lets be careful to note that everything discussed so far is pure speculation. In the past, we've given some members a very hard warning about "wild speculation" so lets be sure to note that no factual information comes along with this model.
Point taken, Joe. However, in this case, I think it is obvious to all concerned that we are merely exchanging theories and trying to assemble a plausible hypothesis rather than inventing 'facts' (as has happened in the past)..
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

Idris wrote:
Point taken, Joe. However, in this case, I think it is obvious to all concerned that we are merely exchanging theories and trying to assemble a plausible hypothesis rather than inventing 'facts' (as has happened in the past)..
a plausible hypothesis?.
nothing seems to make any sense with this model, it is implausible.
except, it was a way of training someone to use a very expensive tool cutting machine but without material wastage, you simply used an old worn out tool to practice and hone your tool cutting skills on. thats feasible.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
Batterseaboy

Post by Batterseaboy »

nickjones wrote:
Idris wrote:
a plausible hypothesis?.
nothing seems to make any sense with this model, it is implausible.
except, it was a way of training someone to use a very expensive tool cutting machine but without material wastage, you simply used an old worn out tool to practice and hone your tool cutting skills on. thats feasible.
Feasible in its unfeasability I would say, why not practice on no description product and who knows when it was done, it looks like the finished article to me not an apprentice hash redo no it's more intriguing than that simplistic notion.
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

For me is the most logical Martin´s and Nick´s opinion. According to the body type, it is definitely no pre pro. The second brace was introduced in the very end of the production of the model. The model was very attractive and the roof rack on the sport car would be commercially absolute flop and fiasco. Why should be changed the die of the nice model in the end of the production?
There was a necessity to test a new structure on the body (roof rack for Fiat 1500). Before you make a completely new casting mold, and then you find that there are some problems with leaking of the melt metal into the roof rack, it is safer and cheaper to use an old mold for testing purposes. Intentionally was chosen a 75a die which is similar to 56b Fiat in the body type and the size. The changes on testing mold had to be made perfect without any defect, so the casting looks like a “finished article”. I can not imagine how should look an “unfinished article” as a result of pure testing mold.
As I have said before, this is one of the greatest and most interesting discovery during the last period
Antonin
Batterseaboy

Post by Batterseaboy »

Sorry, but I don,t nessesarily agree with this idea unless it was common practice ,so has this sort of test appeared on other castings or is it a first. Show me where this type of testing is carried out before or after?....
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

''so has this sort of test appeared on other castings''

We don't know until more are discovered and if it can be proven to be a casting from an apprentice, is must surely have escaped destruction at Lesney simply because of what it is with no further use.

Ghosthunter.
Batterseaboy

Post by Batterseaboy »

Otherwise in the space of a few posts you have created a whole brand new process that was hitherto unknown...