RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Dinky toys by Meccano
RSSierra

Re: RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Post by RSSierra »

Hey Chris,

Probably not. I've only just started paying attention to variations, so if I have it will be a pure fluke.

Some of the good stuff previewed above arrived today.

The Military lot mentioned above are all indeed pre war, two in stunning condition the rest in various stages of crystaline expansion.

First the best

Light Grey 6 Wheel wagon, only fatigue is to the smooth hubs and the load bed which has spalled off a couple of chunks. Stunning paint though for its age.

Mobile Canteen, still has its original wire stand

and tow hook

Varying degrees of fatigue from here on in.

Austin 7's

Military 6 Wheel wagon. Extreme fatigue but still solid, which is amazing. Multiple photo's from different angles labour the point but show just how much these old toys deform when the lead content in the original mix blows the model apart. Windscreen and spare wheel clips both completely blow out.

Comparison shots with the grey version, same vintage...different batch

Military version came with the soldier seat steel insert as well as the tilt, another size measure.

All together. In all reality I would have been prepared to pay the asking price for the whole lot for any one of them!

Other arrivals:

David Brown Tractor and Box

2 Seater Salmson in Red, repro screen will be weathered to match at some point.

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by RSSierra on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
starni999

Post by starni999 »

Hi Mate,
The chain lorry is amazing! Real result there. As to the pre war lot you got the deal of the century there mate. Just goes to show what a lottery it was as to what got affected. It's amazing how the fatigued models grow, it used to be commonly thought that pre war models were bigger! They should all be OK for a few years / decades yet mate, I've got ones a lot worse that have remained steady for years and years now. I just don't handle them at all. After all they started exploding 70 years ago, so the survivors must be pretty strong in comparison.
Cheers
CW.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

A great set if pictures of an unfortunate situation of decaying Dinkies. I think the models that are known to have exploded could have been models created from complicated castings in the first place that even when new were under internal stresses and strains and once the fatigue process has started the release of all that tension is going to cause complete destruction of the model or at least break the model in half and as Chris says, fatigued models can last for a very long time in that condition, so possibly all the internal tension has been released so no further expansion takes place.

Ghosthunter.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

I bought the lot below for the Dinky items and the Morestone(?) AA and RAC motorcycle / sidecar combos, and riders!

There is more here than it initially looks.

I'm hoping that the black spot on the Reconnaissance car roof is paint, not a hole. Either way fingers crossed for another pre war military find.

Photo's of the Dinky's in due course.

Have also listed in the Look what I just got thread for the non Dinky guys to comment on things of more interest to them.

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by RSSierra on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
starni999

Post by starni999 »

Hi Mate,
I'd be hoping it was a hole, hole = Pre War :D
Looks like a nice Budgie Trucks of the World reefer artic, the cabs in two bits, but looks good, so hopefully an easy fix?
Cheers
CW.
motorman

Post by motorman »

It looks like a hole to me as well Chris.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

starni999 wrote:I'd be hoping it was a hole, hole = Pre War :D
Good point! (Every cloud has a silver lining, and all that.)
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

The paint colour and wear screams pre war as well. It's almost the exact situation with the Austin 7's above. The thicker paint collected in seams and crevices remains but the thinner flat surface paint has detached from metal as the metal expands and easily flakes off.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Had a bit of a bidding tussle to obtain this almost mint boxed Wayne School bus. Got it for a lot less than it is worth, so a good result. Produced between 1961 and 1965, the date code on the box puts this one produced in 1961.

Slight chipping to underside edges is all that detracts from a model which looks like it hasn't been out of its box for the last 50+ years since originally bought new here in Auckland.

A significant improvement on the one I already had.

Last edited by RSSierra on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
starni999

Post by starni999 »

That's a real beauty Dave! Perfect box too, what a result. This one and the Continental Touring Coach are still on my long term wants list, they just don't turn up in decent condition for sensible money. Well done mate!
CW