CADILLAC SIXTY SPECIAL NO 27

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
michaeld1.401

CADILLAC SIXTY SPECIAL NO 27

Post by michaeld1.401 »

HELLO EVERYONE - IT'S BEEN A WHILE, BUT I HAVE A MATCHBOX CADILLAC SIXTY SPECIAL WHICH IS A PLASTER/WOODEN PROTOTYPE MODEL - ALL SOLID ...COULD THIS ACTUALLY BE A ORIGINAL MOLD THAT WAS USED FOR THE ACTUAL METAL CARS???...I'LL SEND PICTURES LATER.....

THANKS...MICHAEL
Attachments
DSCF2098.JPG
DSCF2098.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 578 times
DSCF2094.JPG
DSCF2094.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 578 times
DSCF2100.JPG
DSCF2100.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 578 times
Last edited by michaeld1.401 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: CADILLAC SIXTY SPECIAL NO 27

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hi Michael.

It could well be a model makers master in a bigger scale for assessing the final design before tooling is made for the castings, so it will be interesting to see the pictures.

Ghosthunter.
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Hi Michael.

It could well be a model makers master in a bigger scale for assessing the final design before tooling is made for the castings, so it will be interesting to see the pictures.

Ghosthunter.
Kevin - the original post now has photos (perhaps it didn't when you read it) and it is quite apparent this solid "casting" is a copy of an original car that some hobbyist has done as it is the same size as the end manufactured unit. A model makers master (as you stated) would be quite bigger (anything up to around 12-15 inches long I seem to recall?).

My guess is someone made a mold by pressing an original toy into some plasticine or other similar compound and then "poured" the resin or whatever it is made from into that, although thinking it through that would give a negative mold where the windows would have been proud of the body so they may have made the negative and then made a positive mold from that before casting this model. I guess we'll never know....

Ian
fixer

Post by fixer »

The first part of your theory is right , a negative mould would produce an original copy
reg
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Correct, when I first read Michael's post he had not put the pictures in.

Ghosthunter.