Hello & Thunderbird 2 question

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
thejettasetta

Hello & Thunderbird 2 question

Post by thejettasetta »

Evening all,

I'm extremely new to vintage diecast collecting. My usual focus area has always been vintage Star Wars figures & vehicles with a particular focus on foreign variations.

I've been looking at getting a collection of die casts that I owned as a child & a maybe a few that I have never owned but liked. I've always loved sci-fi & one of my earliest memories was visiting the Dr.Who exhibition at Blackpool & after the Dr Who part was an exhibition of Gerry Anderson models & I've been hooked on sci-fi ever since. I love the comic 2000ad & have been reading it since I can remember.

Loved my Space 1999 Eagle diecasts as a child and I loved my Raider Command because it looked exactly like the Killdozer from the Judge Dredd story "The Cursed Earth":

I also have a Thunderbird 2 question, what is going on with this Thunderbird 2 model? The gap around the middle of the model is bigger on one side than the other, it is a riveted model.

This side is OK, esp around the red intake:

This side the gap is much bigger:

GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Hello & Thunderbird 2 question

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hi jettasetta.

Welcome to the forum. I am a bit of a Sci-Fi fan but don't read anything connected to it, but will watch it on TV or DVD. I am a Doctor Who fanatic and love most of what Gerry Anderson has been connected to, especially his own serials such as Stingray, Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet etc.

It looks like your TB2 is a factory Oops and the gap is possibly caused by some surplus material on one of the components inside for the operation of the leg, maybe part of the leg itself or the cavities this part sits in.

Because you have the riveted version it is unlikely you can do anything about.

Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

thejettasetta wrote:Loved... my Raider Command because it looked exactly like the Killdozer from the Judge Dredd story "The Cursed Earth"...
Now that is very interesting. Given the name of that particular series of models, 'Adventure 2000', was there originally supposed to be some kind of tie-in with the 200AD comic (which, presumably, went sour)?
thejettasetta

Post by thejettasetta »

Thanks for the info on T2, so I guess it is a QC issue that just went out to sale anyway.

Re the 2000ad connection, info is a bit sketchy whether it was a collaboration but there was a competition at the same time the Matchbox toy was in the shops & the story ran in the comic:
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

thejettasetta wrote:Re the 2000ad connection, info is a bit sketchy whether it was a collaboration but there was a competition at the same time the Matchbox toy was in the shops & the story ran in the comic:
Do any of the other Adventure 2000 'vehicles' feature in 2000AD?
motorman

Post by motorman »

Idris wrote:
thejettasetta wrote:Re the 2000ad connection, info is a bit sketchy whether it was a collaboration but there was a competition at the same time the Matchbox toy was in the shops & the story ran in the comic:
Wasn't Rachel Welch in that?
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

...or '1 Million Years BC'.

Ghosthunter.
thejettasetta

Post by thejettasetta »

Idris wrote:
The K-2001 was the only vehicle to feature in the comic. The actual vehicle had loads of play value, the front part sprang out of the tracked part I think. I loved mine.

Shame it wasn't an official Judge Dredd collaboration, Dinky did lots of sci-fi models, Matchbox could have done a similar thing with this.
motorman

Post by motorman »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:...or '1 Million Years BC'.

Ghosthunter.
Ah well, I was only a couple of years out!! :lol: :lol:
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"