Needing HELP in identifying a 75 pc set of English Lesney

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
jayalove2

Needing HELP in identifying a 75 pc set of English Lesney

Post by jayalove2 »

I purchased this set in its original display box some years ago at an estate sale..The cars are unused..a 75 piece variety set display. I am trying to find out its age, value, and anything someone can tell me about it..I think it might have been a store display even though the cardboard part is in very bad shape. I am wanting to sell it but have to know what I have first. I looked through items shown in this forum and other places but have not been able to find this exact set. See photo attached.
I would appreciate any information you wise people out there can share with me. Thanks
Attachments
photo of the set
photo of the set
P1016201.JPG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 3783 times
SMS88

Re: Needing HELP in identifying a 75 pc set of English Lesne

Post by SMS88 »

This looks like a salesman samples display,cars tied down and capable of folding for easy transport.The models shown date this to 1964 ,its amazing this clearly never fell into the hands of any children this past 50 years.Mostly common variations of models but a few hard to find items like the silver wheels cememt truck and metallic blue icecream truck but no very hard to find items or special issues that I can see......it may not be mint but displays very well and clearly has patina! Did is come in a fitted box or suitcase?
jayalove2

Post by jayalove2 »

Thank you for your comments. No, there is no box or suitcase..The whole display just folds in half on itself..It has a back similar to a picture frame where it could stand up on a table or counter..Unfortunately, the cars are so heavy and the elastic bands that hold them in are loose so some fall out of their spots...The cardboard is getting so old and flimsy I don't think it would stand up any longer with the weight of the cars. So do you think this is an English Matchbox Car store display for the American market or was it purchased in England and brought back to the States? And do you have any idea of its value in its current condition..The cars are mint...
Attachments
Back cardboard piece for standing up.
Back cardboard piece for standing up.
P1016216.JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 3733 times
hotwheelsbob2000

Post by hotwheelsbob2000 »

Wasn't there a store display like this in the early 60s. I seem to remember one in the window of a hardware store while I was travelling in the State of Maine in 1968. They had some older cars in the display that they did not have in stock and they refused to sell me the cars in the display.
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

Its difficult to value an item that isnt mint, and price depends upon where it is sold,however if the cars are all mint they would be worth I would guess an average of $15/£10 each and that original header is still superb even if the rest is merely very clean and unfaded - many potential buyers would add some plastic inserts to give it rigidity -1960s store displays internationally generally sell for at least $300/£200 so it would be smart not to accept less than £1000/$1500 for the whole lot -on the right day if sold somewhere like Vectis it could fetch a lot more although the real high rollers with deep pockets want factory fresh mint
Dr Jazz

Post by Dr Jazz »

To get the highest price you must keep it as it is, dont take out any cars. I agree with SMS88 1200-1500£ is about right. Lovly display by the way ;) Good luck
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

These displays were made by the Bronner Corporation in the USA for the American market only and possibly for Canada as well.
Bronner was the official Matchbox toy importer.
They were never imported into the UK as Lesney made their own version. For the regular wheels era (1953-69) Lesney only made a handful of different versions but Bronner seems to have had a new one designed every year. They are more common than the UK displays but the variety of designs available makes them very desirable.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
godsey1

Post by godsey1 »

Yes these are great looking displays. Here is mine dated 1966. It is not faded (except on the bottom), its just the way the light was hitting it.

kwakers

Post by kwakers »

NICE display Godsy1! The early Fred Bronner displays in the late 1950s had to change every year as the Lesney line was being expanded to include 75 models. When that point came in 1960, this display with the number 6 Dumper was released and was kept in production until late 1962. In early 1963, this next header was used showing the newly released number 53 Mercedes Benz 220SE coming out of it's box. The copyright date in the top left corner was changed yearly, and the price was raised from the earlier 49 cents to the 55 cents shown here. These cardboard displays were given out free to stores who ordered Lesneys so that they were encouraged to stock all of the 75 regular wheel models in the range.
The price of 1500 U.S. seems about right for the display with contents. The display itself is a bit rough, but the quality of the models it contains makes this value reasonable. I Have an interest at that price, but perhaps others may pay more for some of the individual models on their own. The decision on how to market this piece of Lesney history really depends on how patient the Seller is. Our own Forum Marketplace may bring the desired interest without the EBay hassles and charges...........kwakers
fintail

Post by fintail »

What a find, just fun to look at. Interesting to see the mix of models available that year, old castings mixed with the new.

If you have cars popping out of the elastic, be careful and try not to let to get them chipped - as was mentioned, most models there are fairly common, but there are a few nice pieces, and keeping them mint helps the value a lot.