My newes Find this Week.

A place to show your latest finds
Malibu

Re: My newes Find this Week.

Post by Malibu »

Auch meinen Glückwunsch.

Very nice modells which could make me jealous.

Stephan
motorman

Post by motorman »

Matthias, the frosted glazing on the Cougar looks a little bit odd, I can't say that I have seen that before even on sun damaged glass. I certainly hope the model is genuine, a truly wonderful and exceedingly rare model to have sitting on display. A real showstopper!!
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Not sure what is going on Mathias but this same model was sold by Nik Stil on the 2nd june via eBay. item number 351749086298
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
motorman

Post by motorman »

nearlymint wrote:Not sure what is going on Mathias but this same model was sold by Nik Stil on the 2nd june via eBay. item number 351749086298
I thought that glazing was suspect, definately the same model sold by Nik the Greek. What a shame it's a fake and worthless.

Here is the link to the sale Jason has highlighted

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Matchbox ... 7675.l2557

Matthias, what's the story I presume you know it's a fake?
MOTORMAN

Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I was wondering because I can't see the casting flaw. However, I didn't make a post because but Numi didn't comment on it...
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

That explains the slightly frosted windscreen, the wipers and interior mirror have been removed, but then it has not been polished correctly and evidence of where one of the wipers was moulded can be seen as disturbed surface finish.

Ghosthunter.
MatchboxFreak

Post by MatchboxFreak »

Mathias, I am sorry to see these links to a questionable seller. I hope you are able to get a refund if you are not satisfied with the model.

The photos on "Nik the Greek's" eBay listing show the patent number cast on the base.
According to Nick "the Jones" VBD website, the tan Cougar does not have a patent number on the base. Is this correct or have there been verified examples with the patent number? On examples without the patent number, would it say "patent pending" or would it be blank?

Regards
Kurt
Happy hunting!
Kurt
numi

Post by numi »

Hi Mathias,ure a good person and i empathize with u over this situation.I dont mean to target or upset u in any way but sometimes one has to loudly spell it out so that one may take heed.
Getting caught with one fake is a big thing but getting caught with two fakes almost simultaneously is another.Something is drastically wrong here.Either ure losing it or ure knowingly collecting custom/fakes.Its one thing to blame a seller but what about a buyer? Isnt he to blame as well? In your case being a much more experienced collector than myself u should have known better! Not scolding u here,am i... :roll:

Had u to taken time reading all members posts on this forum would have alerted u to keep away from certain sellers.Duncan123Tracy is one such seller.Go on,have a look...http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/duncan123trac ... 6732.m1684

Both the Cream Cougar & the SPW MG are customs and deemed fakes if these were intended to hoodwink buyers.The Cream Cougars color is incorrect.It has Nik_Stils signature on it,has glue on rear rivet,has a repro semi-translucent white interior instead of solid ivory,has super-glue holding the buffed-down glazing to the roof & body,incorrect body casting.
The Mg has a SPW wheel swop and clearly evident.
Hope u have learned a lesson here Mathias and that u get a full refund from both sellers.
Still friends... ;)
numi
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

MatchboxFreak wrote:According to Nick "the Jones" VBD website, the tan Cougar does not have a patent number on the base. Is this correct or have there been verified examples with the patent number? On examples without the patent number, would it say "patent pending" or would it be blank?
I think there is a single known example (in Harvey's collection?) without the patent no. All other cream 62c Cougars have it.
motorman

Post by motorman »

Matthias is an experienced collector and I do not suspect for a second that he bought this cougar thinking it was genuine. In any case Nik still always advertises his listings with the wording

'This model has been restored to a professional standard'

Matthias would not have missed this I can assure you.

I doubt that very few, if any, members of this forum would have enough liquid assets available to spend the many thousands of pounds it would take to own a genuine cream Cougar, and perhaps Matthias does not have pockets that deep. Many of us would love to have one to display and buying a fake/custom may be the only way to achieve that. I therefore can only therefore assume that Matthias bought this for display purposes in the knowledge that it is not the real deal.

My only concern is that Nik the Greek has had his pockets lined with cash once again and by a member of this forum for what is effectively a worthless matchbox fake. I am uncomfortable with that thought.

Personally I would rather have a space in my display cabinet than place a worthless piece of garbage along side my other genuine models but that is my own opinion and I appreciate that others will disagree.
MOTORMAN