RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Dinky toys by Meccano
RSSierra

Re: RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Post by RSSierra »

Cheers Chris / Kevin

I like the DB6 too, a pity that it was only released in two colours.

Below are some late arrivals this week. One pre war, one immediately post war.

After 16 months of waiting I finally located a 51e Strathaird. These rarely come up for sale, hence the significant delay in obtaining one after completing the rest of the set. To say I was amazed to find one with masts, no fatigue and good paint is understatement. On top of which it had a buy now of a paltry 10 quid. Problem was UK shipping only! However I managed to convince the seller NZ wasn't a bad risk to post to. My set is finally complete!!!!

Next a reasonable Armstrong Whitworth Air Liner in Green / Silver. It's has Explorer on the front fuselage sides which makes it an early post war model. Paintwork came up well after a bit of soapy water on a cotton bud and a buff with a duster. All Propellors and the landing wheels still there which is an outstanding result after 70+ years. I like this model, I may have to get more in the series. Hopefully I do not extend too far in to Dinky Aircraft

Picking up this one was fluke,I got a fixed price offer a week after it had already sold. I guess the high bidder didn't carry through with the transaction. Funny thing was the offer was less than the auction end price.
Last edited by RSSierra on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Two great survivors you have and what a steal at £10 for the liner. The Aircraft oozes charm and character and it's condition belies it's age really well. I can understand your statement of not wanting to get too much into Dinky Aircraft, but once a collector, always a collector, so start checking out what else they made... :lol:

Ghosthunter.
starni999

Post by starni999 »

Wonderful Dave!
It's so great you've completed the liner set, they are really good models, but so delicate.
If you have problems with UK shipping only the seller can send them to me and I'll forward.
Cheers
Chris Warr.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Thanks for the offer Chris, That could be very useful. I won't abuse it. Cheers

A couple of recent arrivals.

Jones Fleetmaster Crane Truck in great condition with just box rubbing to highpoints on the sides.I'd like to make an inner packing piece for this to protect both model and box in the future. Can anyone provide a picture and ideally dimensions so I can make one up???

And a Mk4 Zodiac. This model has a slight factory paint imperfection on the front passenger door but is in stunning bright condition. Unbelievably the photo's don't actually do it justice. Definitely one of my favourite acquisitions of the last year or so.

Last edited by RSSierra on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fred7A

Post by Fred7A »

That blue Zodiac is lovely, and not an easy colour to find. :) It's my favourite colour on the Dinky Zodiac, and looks pretty close to Blue Mink, which was a popular colour on Fords at the time. On most examples I have seen the back doors are slightly brighter than the rest of the model because they have been painted over white (there must have been some spare Police doors). Is that the case with your one? They look the same as the rest of the body in your pictures.

Not too clear in this photo, but you can see the colour on the back door doesn't quite match, and there are a couple of marks showing the white underneath.

More noticeable on this tatty one.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Hi Fred

Yes, I have seen a few Zodiacs like the one above. mine is uniform in colour with seemingly no white "undercoat.

On to this weeks arrivals, nothing old or vintage this week. Just new Atlas Dinky and Dan Toys models.

Petrol Pumps

Puegeot Fourgon Van

Berliet Motorway Tow Truck

And finally after significant delays caused by the French Industrial disputes / strikes my Auto Carrier and Autotransporter have arrived.

These models are AWESOME. Well cast, High quality durable boxes and great paint. A few discrepancies from the originals as mentioned below.

Dan Toys version of 984 Car Carrier, missing "Dinky" off the side! I'm sure someone will produce water slide decals for this at some point.

Beside an Original

Slight Shade differences, easily attributable to age and fade.

But the most amazing thing is the difference below:

Firstly Original

Now Dan Toys....... Look at that MAJOR difference.

You can certainly feel that additional weight in the hand.

Dan Toys Version of the 989 auto Transporters American issue

Next to an Original 989

The major differences here are incorrect hubs and lack of the decal guides under and at the sides of the Autotransporters Tampo printing.

Another interesting thing is the construction / painting methodology on the 989. The rivets holding the side panels on are painted body colour, but can only have been painted after assembly, yet their is consistent paint depth and colour and no overspray on any of the yellow parts directly abutting the grey. I've had a few of these apart to respray and this is a very tricky thing to achieve.

Some silly money is being asked on the Bay for these transporters, whilst they are limited to 1,500 each example there are plenty left on Dan Toys website at what I consider a reasonable price. A bonus for me (and any non EU buyer) is that local taxes are not included in outside EU purchases.
Last edited by RSSierra on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

A lot of Money was invested by Dantoys to create the Dinky Look-A-Like trucks, but the use of the DINKY name was not part of the package, so sadly he could use it on the models, packaging or decal/labels.

Ghosthunter.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Arrivals this week are a mix of original and Atlas copies.

French Dinky 889 Autobus

25 Series Truck

Sunbeam Rapier

Atlas Bedford Tipper

Atlas French Dinky Berliet Stradair

Last edited by RSSierra on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
starni999

Post by starni999 »

Hi Dave,
You've got some fabulous stuff there again mate! Well done!
Yeah those Dan Car Carriers are awesome. I haven't had the bottle to remove mine from their plinths yet! I'd love to see some new liveries on these.
Cheers
CW.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Took a punt on this one, accepted a fixed price offer based on this single photo. Unknown what the other side looks like or the extent of fatigue. That wear and those tyres attest to its 80+ years in existence.

Not too many around still with this early striped paint scheme. Better photo's when it arrives.
Last edited by RSSierra on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.