No 30 Magirus Deutz jib colour

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
Idris
Site Admin

Re: No 30 Magirus Deutz jib colour

Post by Idris »

There is nothing wrong with a bit of speculative bidding. Most of the time, you will be disappointed but, every now and again, the model turns out to be genuine (like my 14c Lomas with roof cross decal for under £10!).
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

I have purposely bought interesting models that I knew were Fake! I have also bought models that I was certain were fake, and found they were original oddities that defy explanation. When I am looking at the pictures of this Crane today, the boom has more of an orange color than the bright yellow my computer showed yesterday. How very interesting, a darkened Bedroom last night versus the natural light this A.M. possibly showing that lighter orange used on some of these booms out of the factory?? That being said, Kiwi's latest pictures illustrate the common type of front rivet finish seen on all these cranes from the factory, and also the missing outer rear rivet paint which is the result of Lesneys spinning rivet spreader being used to secure the boom. Thanks for these pictures Kiwi78, they show my points very well on doubting either of the rivets are original on the model in this discussion. None of this detective work is brain surgery, sometimes just studying 'Beaters' or similar models gives one clues as to how different Lesneys looked when found brand new years ago. Production Oddities DO exist, so we enjoy both hunting for them and collecting them for what they are.
As you have said, there is no huge profit to be made on this Crane as a rarity, but the re-painting of the Crane rivet head to match the boom color defies any other logical explanation that I can think of. (other than being done by an eccentric former owner/restorer many years ago) Thanks for this interesting discussion, it is worth boosting your bid a bit to find out more about the model in hand. kwakers
mbox2000

Post by mbox2000 »

Ah, yes Dick. Many was the dark of the bedroom night revealed in the true light of day. Many of which I regret and at least one that I married! :x :lol:
Mbox2000 / Jay
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

:D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D What perverse thoughts you have now conjured on my way to bed tonight mbox2000. Back in the Woodstock years we sang "Love the one you're with" (Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young of course), but we always picked them out in the light BEFORE we got too stoned....... ;)
And the answer is YES, the original model's boom and rivet colours look a lighter yellow tonight in the dark just like they did last night. It is funny how natural light not only effects our colour vision on Lesney Toys, but on our computer screens also?? Not being a computer nerd, I never realized that before now... ;) ...kwakers
Kiwi78

Post by Kiwi78 »

For what it's worth, a few pictures of the models next to each other. The subject of this thread is the brighter orange, the darker, deeper orange is a model i already had and much what we all expect as standard.

GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I think the Jury is still out on this, but the Sunfade option is all we have to go on at the moment, fascinating.

Ghosthunter.
Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

Would it be fair to say that the silver paint is also a different colour?

Cheers,
Gavin
Faceless Bureaucrats have feelings too...
Kiwi78

Post by Kiwi78 »

Hi Gavin,

No actually. It might not come out well in pictures and depending on computer screen settings but the shade of silver is exactly the same on both models.

mbox2000

Post by mbox2000 »

My vote is for it being factory paint. It isn't any more valuable in that color, so why do it. And as neatly as factory. Plus the rivet matches so I can't buy sun fade. Why repaint it so neatly if it is just a toy, which was obviously enjoyed by a child. I also can't spot any of the darker paint showing anywhere ( with my old eyes ) that the paint is chipped. Nothing else makes any sense to me.

Jay
Mbox2000 / Jay
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

I do not think that it is a sunfade. If it was sunfade, it could be seen on the reverse side a different shade (I do not see it). The colours of the jib may vary in wide range. The code 2 has a very light orange jib.
Antonin
Attachments
DSCN5719.JPG
DSCN5719.JPG (31.3 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Last edited by Diecast on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.