1e Mercedes covered truck

Matchbox toys in real life, photos and videos
Miller

1e Mercedes covered truck

Post by Miller »

Speicher1.jpg
Speicher1.jpg (38.64 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Photo taken from Nick Jones website

In 1963 Mercedes released a new styled cabin for their truck line - the cubic cabin. Initially, there was only the model with a medium-long cabin that offered considerably less space than the roundish predecessor, the saved length benefited the cargo area. After protests by drivers and customers a longer distance transport cabin was also offered from 1965. Both cabs were not tilted as its predecessor, so that the maintenance had to be carried out by numerous flaps and doors that were distributed throughout the vehicle. This circumstance brought these vehicles quickly the unflattering nickname "advent calendar".

Interestingly Matchbox built this model with single wheels on the rear axle although the original always has twin tires.
Speicher2.jpg
Speicher2.jpg (51.83 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Speicher3.jpg
Speicher3.jpg (65.08 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Typical axle combination in the sixties - 2 axles on thr truck, 3 on the trailer. Todays trucks mostly got 3 on the truck and 2 on the trailer.
Speicher4.jpg
Speicher4.jpg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Roland

Variations are bad for limited showcases
kwakers

Re: 1e Mercedes covered truck

Post by kwakers »

We had seen a lot of the round cabbed earlier Mercedes Trucks imported here to the U.S. They were said to be underpowered, but got very good mileage for local deliveries. It would seem that when those early Mercedes were discontinued, importation rates to our Northern United States was drastically cut, because we saw few of this newer style Mercedes cab in use in New York State. Tinman Joe has talked about driving this same flat style nose Mercedes Truck years ago, so they may have been more popular in our Southern States. I was very surprised at the bumper headlight location on the pictures you have shown us Roland, proof I had never seen this later cab in use up here. I do own a box-like late 50s-early 1960s flat nosed Mercedes Armoured Car with bullet-proof glass that was used for gold and jewelry delivery in and around the Boston area in the 60s. These may have been a very common design for Europe, but they are quite unique here in the U.S., and were imported directly by that jeweler for his company's use to save money on deliveries to his stores. I may snap a picture or two of it and send them along with your original large Milk Float Horse as promised, but I am usually very slow at these tasks. Thanks for the Mercedes pictures here. You will enjoy a look at some Customs Tinman has done and shown in his "Restorations" Posts featuring this same Lesney model which is a favorite of his. Cheers! kwakers
Miller

Post by Miller »

Dick, i would love to see that security truck, sounds exiting!

Joe once did a resto on this Mercedes truck in maroon with GPW and two lathes as a load. Thats my favorite resto from him. Sadly i can´t find the photo here anymore... :cry:

Edith says: i found it! :D

Roland

Variations are bad for limited showcases
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Hi,
Wiking made the same truck in 1965.
Here a picture of both to compare.
As I am a Wiking collector too I find more and more paralells betwen the Matchbox and Wiking program in the years 1962-1969.
Stephan
(c) Malibu
(c) Malibu
MB_Kubisch.JPG (51.72 KiB) Viewed 1296 times