3D-printing

Restoration how to's
Malibu

3D-printing

Post by Malibu »

Hi,

as today suggested I made this new topic to show what is possible with 3D-Printing.
Before I try to explain how this technology works please have a look at http://www.shapeways.com I think you can find most Information and ist written in english.

I have the fortune to work as an mechanical desinger with 3D-CAD and I´m allowed to have a home-version of this program (Solid-Works) for private use at home.

I will start with this trailer which I received with a broken roof.
Thats how it looked like when I got it.
(c)-Malibu
(c)-Malibu
Trailer.JPG (11.91 KiB) Viewed 8132 times
Because there is no replacement part avaiable I made a 3D-model on Solid-Works.
(c)-Malibu
(c)-Malibu
Dach.JPG (18.06 KiB) Viewed 8132 times
From this model I can make a so called stl-file which I can upload on the Shapeways homepage and place a order.
No comes the hardest part of it - I have to wait up to 15 days until I get the parts.
And thats the result.
(c)-Malibu
(c)-Malibu
Wohnwagen_1.JPG (37.38 KiB) Viewed 8132 times
If you do not have a 3D-Program to make the required datas with you have three more possibilities.
- scanning a origial part (not shure if possible with shapeways)
- make a scetch - some providers do make the 3D-model after your scetch.(not shure if possible with shapeways)
- If it is not to much work you could also ask me to make the model for you - I would send the datas to you and you can order the parts on your own at shapeways.

Stephan
tjlglass

Re: 3D-printing

Post by tjlglass »

I am reliably informed that when you try to bend this, it will snap as its built in layers and not plyable like normal plastic, also the texture is all wrong.
fixer

Post by fixer »

does anyone thing this is how naughty Nik produces his plastic components , if it's as Tim says and the plastic is wrong could it be an in hand way of identifying his "prepros"
impressive technology though
reg
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I'm willing to bet the replacement top cost more than buying another loose model with a good top. It seems to be cost prohibitive at this time.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
tjlglass

Post by tjlglass »

Again I have been told by a fellow member on here that Nic's plastic is inferior and looking at his pictures of some of his models I would have to agree as just by the pictures the moulding looks shit. I do have a vested interest in this subject as I have a few bits of genuine plastic pre production so any of these fakes can hit my sales, the only thing I can say is that if anyone buys a model from me I can personally guarantee it is 100% Lesney Factory and of the same quality.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Tinman wrote:I'm willing to bet the replacement top cost more than buying another loose model with a good top. It seems to be cost prohibitive at this time.
This part cost me 4,35 Euros. How much would a model with a good top cost? And of course you can buy another model with a good top but then you have one more model without top...
tjlglass wrote:I am reliably informed that when you try to bend this, it will snap as its built in layers and not plyable like normal plastic, also the texture is all wrong.
This depends on the material. There are materials which do reach quite flat surfaces. The strenghts of the material used for the top is nearly as high as the original. If you need a spare part like for example a boom it is possible to make it from metal as well.

Today I want to show you a modified fire pumper truck 29c.
Thats how the model looked before.
(c) Malibu
(c) Malibu
Fire_pumper_1.JPG (11.53 KiB) Viewed 8076 times
And thats how it looks now.
(c) Malibu
(c) Malibu
Fire_pumper_2.JPG (47.71 KiB) Viewed 8076 times
(c) Malibu
(c) Malibu
Fire_pumper_3.JPG (53.02 KiB) Viewed 8076 times
Stephan
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Does the one without the extra ladder and stuff on top have the coiled hose details on the top?
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
fixer

Post by fixer »

How long will it take for this to be copied and sold as a prepro :o
reg
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

tjlglass wrote:I am reliably informed that when you try to bend this, it will snap as its built in layers and not plyable like normal plastic, also the texture is all wrong.
It is possible to use several types of plastics in a 3D printer, some of which will be pretty close to the type of plastic used by Lesney for the original part and the better printers can print ever smoother objects.

I have handled several items printed with a mid-price printer with a footprint no bigger than an average ink printer for your computer, so is ideal for the hobbiest and the items are very good and the styrene type plastic used made them easily workable for the average modeler used to working with 'AIRFIX' kits.

GHOSTHUNTER.
tjlglass

Post by tjlglass »

Yes Kev but I'm guessing that just like modern day printing can be spotted as being such that 3D printing will be the same and easy to spot. If I'm wrong then the game is up I'm afraid.