Large Lesney Superfast collection for sale

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
petethesweet1

Re: Large Lesney Superfast collection for sale

Post by petethesweet1 »

Hi David & all fabulous collection, has Vectis set a date for the auction yet. Pete
mbox75

Post by mbox75 »

Hello David

Really beautiful rare and rare Prepros,also I am missing a few models as you show here.I agree was to make such a decision certainly difficult.If you had you concentrate in the future on the Brazilian models carefully,there are many well-made counterfeits in circulation,and I am the erstaund offered lately more and more beautiful models,which were formerly simply never found.The only one I know of a monopoly on Brazilian models had was Andi Moor.I wish to find out happiness to real models I wish to find out happiness to real models.

Cheers Mathias
SITE ADMIN WARNING: ANY PRE-PRODUCTION MODELS PICTURED IN THIS POST BY MBOX75 MAY BE FAKES!
motorman

Post by motorman »

Dont worry Matthias there isn't a lot David doesn't know about when it comes to Brazilian matchbox. He has been a great help to me with my small collection of Brazillians. If anyone should be concerned about fakes it should be some of the wealthy collectors who buy on impulse and thereby have a multitude of fakes in their collection that cost them a pretty penny. More money then sense!!!
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
numi

Post by numi »

AM is loaded with Brazilian fakes and he doesnt ever give us a chance to get our hands on genuine England prepros although he may have them in duplicates. He buys them all up at silly prices,thus creating a shortage & high demands so as to protect his purchase prices (Investment)!
numi
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
motorman

Post by motorman »

numi wrote:AM is loaded with Brazilian fakes
Yep he has them by the bucket load!!
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
Matchboom

Post by Matchboom »

Scheduled for october 29th and 30th.
petethesweet1

Post by petethesweet1 »

Hi All, intended to go to Vectis but a few things have cropped up. Saw the listings while I was in Egypt last week. Would have liked to have gone & viewed the collection will have to try & get a catalogue at Sandown Pete
vetrad

Post by vetrad »

Hi again,

Thank you for the compliments with my collection. There are many very nice models, a few of which are the only ones I have seen. As mentioned (Thanks Matchboom!), Vectis has the models posted on their website. I feel Vectis did a wonderful job describing the models, especially on things like color shades where it really takes a lot of knowledge to know what is common or not. There are a few subtle casting variations that are not completely described but I think those people looking for the models will see them in the pictures. I do not feel there is anything 'common' about any of the models.

Most people seem to sell their collection when they are leaving the hobby, but I wanted to assure you I am still around and plan on being at 'The Gathering' in the forseeable future. I will probably be sharing a table with Bob Steinberg, if he continues to invite me. If you buy a model and are not happy, just let me know and I will fix it. Matchbox cars are my earliest childhood memory and I consider any fellow collector a friend.

PS: Can you believe they put the estimate on the yellow 41A at 20-30GBP!!! That one took me 15 years to find in that condition :-)

-David Detweiler
vetrad@gmail.com
numi

Post by numi »

vetrad wrote:Hi again,

Thank you for the compliments with my collection. There are many very nice models, a few of which are the only ones I have seen......
PS: Can you believe they put the estimate on the yellow 41A at 20-30GBP!!! That one took me 15 years to find in that condition :-)

-David Detweiler
vetrad@gmail.com
Hi David,we wish u all the luck with the auctions and im sure u will do well as there are super variations to be had.
The #41A yellow Gt40 should fetch over 200gbp cos its a toughie to find in any condition and is missing in most collections.

Just curious so please explain as im sure most would like to know why this #12 SF Landy has a very high estimate or are we missing something.
Thanks,numi

Lot 5285
Matchbox Superfast No.12a Land Rover Safari - blue body, brown luggage, white interior without transmission tunnel, 5-spoke narrow wheels with black axle clips - Mint apart from a couple of minor factory assembly marks to glazing unit in Near Mint type F transitional box illustrating blue Regular Wheel model. Superb and genuine example of one of the rarest Superfast models made.

Estimate: £3000 - £4000
Attachments
5285_m.jpg
5285_m.jpg (53.74 KiB) Viewed 942 times
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Presumably the high estimate reflects the fact that it is catalogued as genuine. (It would be interesting to know the provenance of this model and thereby the degree to which that “genuine” label can be demonstrated to be true.)
Unfortunately, the blue SF12c is a prime example of how fakes can lead to significant devaluation of genuine examples, simply because no one trusts any example any more.
Personally, I no longer aspire to adding this variation to my collection, simply because there are too many fakes out there. Besides that, there is also the underlying question of whether it was ever actually produced by the factory. I think in all probability the answer to that is a yes, although the question then remains of exactly how many were manufactured. (My guess would be penny numbers.)